Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richmond coin show - an oddity... a D/S or just damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond coin show - an oddity... a D/S or just damage?

I had an older gentleman approach my tables. He had two Jefferson nickles he wanted me to look over. Both were found in roll searching. The only one that looked unusual was this one.

http://www.minterrors.org/wp-content...5/11/54sds.jpg

The owner was skeptical, as he should be. Its a 1956 Coin, in which there were no "S" coins minted he said. I told him about how they actually punched in the dies on the coins in pre-1990's and he went wow, really? I said, how odd would it be for some one to pick up an "S" punch that was laying around and hammering it onto a 1956 Jefferson?

Take a look at the photo and let me know what You think

EDIT: yeah I know the link says 1954 in the photo, but as we were talking I said 54, and typed it in. Too groggy, tired and sleepy to make a change to the uploaded photo...1956 it is.....
    Last edited by MintErrors; 11-01-2015, 08:16 PM.
    Gary Kozera
Working...
X