Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar (Normal Hair) DDR (Maybe?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar (Normal Hair) DDR (Maybe?)

Have this coin, thinking of resubmitting it to James Wiles – what do other members think?

The coin is a late die state, graded PR68 and admittedly a lite spread but the spread in all over the place from doubling to tripling and even quadrupling in places. Area effected includes the stars around the rim, stars between the rays, UNUM on the banner, designer’s initials, arrows some of the letter around the rim with strongest on lower letters of DOLLAR.

Larry took a few pictures of the coin for me which are posted below, what do you think?

Star Right of Arrows

Stars Above O in DOLLAR

Star Above O in DOLLAR

A in DOLLAR

Sure looks like one to me, Congrats !
    The CONECA Master Listing might give you clues to which one it is, but here is a start:

http://varietyvista.com/1964PDDR018%20half.htm

Gary Kozera

Comment

Originally posted by MintErrors View Post
      Sure looks like one to me, Congrats !
      The CONECA Master Listing might give you clues to which one it is, but here is a start:

http://varietyvista.com/1964PDDR018%20half.htm

Thanks! But I don't think it matches anything in the current listings, I believe it would be a new listing if Dr. Wiles felt so inclined.

Comment

Tim, send him the photos and see if he would like to see the coin in hand. I think it has promise!

his email addy can be found here: http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_attributers.html
        Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

I see no quadruple spread (4) in the CONECA listings for a 64PR DDR, RDV-002. Wouldn’t the quadruple spread on the A of DOLLAR be unique and different enough to list this? I would give James Wiles another shot at this one.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Originally posted by atrox001 View Post
            I see no quadruple spread (4) in the CONECA listings for a 64PR DDR, RDV-002. Wouldn’t the quadruple spread on the A of DOLLAR be unique and different enough to list this? I would give James Wiles another shot at this one.

Larry Nienaber
            I currently have a “Box of Twenty” Kennedy half dollar varieties into Dr. Wiles for attribution. I will probably add this coin to our next box to him but wait until after the first of the year (holiday season and all). This time of the year the Post Office is somewhat over whelmed with packages and seasonal help and even thou I use Registered Mail – Insured, I like my odds better when the PO isn't quite as busy.

I would still like to hear opinions from the membership if they think this coin has any merit in being added to the listings (admittedly I’m a little bias).
            Last edited by Tim; 11-24-2015, 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Personally, if it was my coin and it has not been sent to Mr. Wiles already, then I would do so.

I don't see this coming back as a "minor ddo". I do look over a lot of Kennedy's and have seen specimens that have come back attributed with a lot less.

As for the reference above to the Master Listing, I did not know if you knew about it, so I passed it along. There are about (20) Kennedy Half PR DDR's already listed and about ten of these are of triple or quad type. You probably already know this, but the entire listing is here - for those that do not know = )

http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20Ma...ies%201964.htm

I know for an attributer its got to be tough to try to match these up, especially if there are limited numbers to examine and to look for legitimate die markers, all the different die stages and strength of the strike and everything else that goes into this.

Hope it comes back a winner.
              Gary Kozera

Comment

Gary,

Thank you for your comments. I understand that attributing is subjective at best (what makes the cut for getting listed versus what is too minor). Overall, I am pleased with the way Dr. James Wiles maintains the CONECA files and the standards he has established. I don’t always see eye to eye with him and have been known to resubmit coins for attribution two or three times trying to argue my point (once in a while I manage to even win). Like most collectors, we have a fairly large box with the dreaded “Too minor to list” notation (LOL).

The coin in question, if it would have been an “early die state” in my opinion would be a no brainer about getting listed but it is what it is and sometimes you have to work with what you got.

I also understand that there are about 25 currently listed DDRs for 1964, four of them being on business strike examples. Of the twenty-one remaining DDRs listed, two are quadruple spreads on RDV-001 (DDR-003 & DDR-017) with no quadruple spreads being listed on the RDV-002 design (Flared G) like the coin in question.

And yes, it is important to have a reference set to attribute and I imagine that Dr. Wiles’ set is extensive. Larry also has a decent collection with the different stages. Our collection is nowhere as complete as Dr. Wiles’ or Larry’s but can be seen here: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=1165

Tim

Comment

Heard back from James Wiles, "DDR is too minor to list. Light spread and no major markers."

I thought the spread on the Arrow shafts feathers and points plus the spread on 'UNUM', the stars around the rim and the quadrupling on the lower AR of DOLLAR would be enough for a listing - but not this time (maybe if I can find an earlier die state we could have a different ending).

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Heard back from James Wiles, "DDR is too minor to list. Light spread and no major markers."

I thought the spread on the Arrow shafts feathers and points plus the spread on 'UNUM', the stars around the rim and the quadrupling on the lower AR of DOLLAR would be enough for a listing - but not this time (maybe if I can find an earlier die state we could have a different ending).
                    This looks like the same one
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/182087805195...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Working...
                    X