Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confirmation, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation, Please

I purchased this coin from a local dealer. He had it marked as a brockage. I believe it is a counter brockage. Am I right?
    BTW the column on the reverse appear to be in relief though it is hard to tell.
    ALSO it appears to be double stuck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kurtrr; 12-06-2015, 07:22 AM.

It's neither. This is an off-center uniface strike. The planchet was fed into the press off-center on top of another planchet.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Question about the image on the reverse

Originally posted by diamond View Post
      It's neither. This is an off-center uniface strike. The planchet was fed into the press off-center on top of another planchet.
      Thanks Mike. So does that mean that the memorial image I see on the reverse was impressed through the planchet?
      BTW I enjoy your writing. Coin World can thank you for being one of the reasons I subscribe to their publication.

Comment

Yes. Any faint elements belonging to the Memorial simply bled through the underlying planchet from the reverse die. Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy writing the column.

Comment

One more question. Re. the extra arc I see between the slide zone and the rim of the last image (on the obverse). Does that arc indicate this is double struck?

Comment

It's not a reliable indicator of a second strike.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by diamond View Post
              It's not a reliable indicator of a second strike.
              Oh Rats! Thanks anyway Mike. I appreciate your input.

Comment

I have to catch them with the date ..
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X