Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1891 Seated Liberty Dime Die Delamination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Seated Liberty Dime Die Delamination

This is an 1891 Seated Liberty dime with massive deteriation die chips all over the obverse and reverse. Maybe a set of delaminated dies? Interestingly, the date on the obverse and the ONE DIME on the reverse are amazingly sharp.
    Attached Files

I don't like the look of it. It's either a crude counterfeit or a dime that's been altered/damaged outside the Mint.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
      I don't like the look of it. It's either a crude counterfeit or a dime that's been altered/damaged outside the Mint.
      Mike I was thinking the same thing when I just looked at it. I would suggest that it be weighed first.
      Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
        Well, I would like to know how someone could add extra metal to the fields and details in the patterns shown. It would be extremely difficult for one to add metal to the fields with a consistent height and some of the circular and "squiggly patterns (i.e. belly area). The coin actually weighs 2.07 grams which is 0.43 grams LESS than the normal 2.5 grams. On the obverse, the die chip on the right in the field next to Lady Liberty is raised. This raised metal is similar in height as lady liberty and quite consistent in it's overall height, top (at cap) to bottom (at "A" in America). The chip to the left of liberty at the arm is almost the same height at the right side chip. Liberty's head, shoulder and breast are slightly higher than these apparent die chips. The chip seen at Liberty's belly is blocking the original detail of the belly area , but is NOT as high as the breasts. None of these markings are "incuse" markings. Addition of metal is the only way these raised areas could exist, yet the weight of the coin is LESS than standard. How would you determine if it is a counterfeit coin? What details would you look for to know for sure if the coin is counterfeit? I am thinking the die set was not properly cared for and rusted and when used again to make coins, the pressures caused the rusted areas to delaminate under pressure.
        Last edited by Merlin8971; 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Your photos are too poor to determine the type of problem that afflicts this coin. All I know is that its appearance is at odds with every genuine error I've encountered and does not correspond to any known error type, documented or theoretical.

Comment

Here are more photos. Please note the irregular pitting on the die chips left and right of Liberty. But the Cap is relatively smooth in appearance. The detail of Liberty shows some roughness, but the word Liberty is reasonably sharp.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Merlin8971; 01-22-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

It looks like acid damage, perhaps supplemented by some adhering contaminants. It's no error.

Comment

Acid damage? How so? These are RAISED areas, not indented areas. Adhering contaminants? It IS metal. At 60 power, porosity is quite negligible on the unaffected obverse fields. However the reverse shows slightly more porosity and the denticles are not crisp, although some other details are sharper. Maybe using the word "pitting" is improper, "orange peel" surface is more accurate.

Comment

I can make no further progress from photos alone. You can send it to me, if you wish, for examination.

Comment

The rim seems to be effected by the same porous surface. Couple in the dramatic loss in weight and I agree with Mike. Some kind of acid/corrosion damage. If something was stuck to the surface that was resistant to the acid/corrosive substance, wouldn't the fields and devices surrounding the adherent be eaten away, while the part being protected wouldn't?

Comment

That sounds great Mike. Where do I get info on proceedure? Thank You

Comment

Actually the weight loss is because a thin planchet. About 20% thinner.

Comment

You can contact me directly at mdia1@aol.com. You may not get an answer immediately as I'm undergoing surgery for a herniated lumbar disc tomorrow.

Comment

Looks like acid damage to me. Coin "might" have had glue on it too before the acid damage.
                            Ken Potter
                            CONECA Public Relations
                            Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
                            Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
                            Visit CONECA's Website
                            Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Working...
                            X