Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1938-S Lincoln Cent RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938-S Lincoln Cent RPM?

Requesting some help with this one. At first I thought it might be RPM-003 but I am unable to match the die markers. Thanks for any opinions.....
    Attached Files
    Bob
    CONECA Member

Looks like Strike Doubling (Machine Doubling).
    Attached Files
    Ken Potter
    CONECA Public Relations
    Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
    Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
    Visit CONECA's Website
    Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Many Thanks Ken. Always appreciate the help from one of our experts. I am an engineer by trade, but as a bit of a novice at "error hunting" I thought that if I laid out the logic (much like a typical root cause analysis in a failure investigation) I employed thinking that this might be a RPM then you could help me understand the flaws in my reasoning. First and foremost I discounted the machine doubling due to the fact there was no other such evidence on any of the devices or the date...only the mintmark. It would seem odd to me that out of all the possibilities of machine doubling that just the little mintmark would be the victim with so many other opportunities in very close proximity. Then I thought that possibly I was looking at a die chip or wear on the mintmark only....but I discounted that once I saw how nicely the upper part of the underlying S was formed. And then the mintmark had a "tilted" appearance to me rather that just an offset. With multiple factors in play I concluded that just maybe this was an RPM. I realize the coin's condition is sub par making the evaluation a bit more difficult but I would be anxious to understand where I failed...it will certainly help my learning curve! Many thanks again..... Bob
      Last edited by flyank; 04-01-2016, 01:44 PM.
      Bob
      CONECA Member

Comment

Bob,
        Strike Doubling (MD) often only affects the MM because it is out in the open by itself. I also think there is some on the outer upper curve of the 9. Also, the upper loop of the "origian" 9 appears a bit thinned and that outside it seems flat. Also, no RPM like this listed for this heavily searched date.
        Ken Potter
        CONECA Public Relations
        Visit CONECA's Website

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Very good Ken...and much appreciated as always! I think my biggest take-away is to not focus on older coins as you say "heavily searched" dates since they have already been found and documented. That will save me time for sure rather than thinking I have something possibly new and worth considering. Doing this takes considerable time and patience and now knowing when to "pass" is good time management. Thank you for helping a beginner ......!
          Bob
          CONECA Member

Comment

You never know though when you might find something new.
            Ken Potter
            CONECA Public Relations
            Visit CONECA's Website

Comment

Working...
            X