Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973-S Silver Eisenhower PCGS MS67 DDO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973-S Silver Eisenhower PCGS MS67 DDO?

I could please use some help on this PCGS 1973-S Silver Eisenhower Dollar graded MS67. Unable to locate in the error reference material if in fact it is a DDO. The tip of the serif on the 1 in the date is split and the 3 also shows doubling. IGWT seems nicely spread. Unfortunately the slab and reflection make photographing difficult with my setup. Thanks as always for your help and opinions.....
    Attached Files
    Bob
    CONECA Member

Now that Tom ( IDDD ) has passed away and his site was taken down, I can't help anymore, maybe one day his site will come back . Very sad all of his hard work is gone now, his family should of step up to the plate to make sure this didn't happen .
    Death can do weird things to family, I know, my mother just passed away on Labor Day and my sisters have lost their minds now that she has passed....

Comment

Very sad to hear and very sad the hard work appears to now be lost. It was the first site I went to but when I received the error page I figured something had gone awry. Maybe one of his followers can be of help on this one.
      Bob
      CONECA Member

Comment

My personal opinion from what I see, Its a DDO for sure. I can see extra device metal and a slight engraving line on the "GOD" and most of the "TRUST". When I shoot proofs, I try to angle the coin, raising it up from the bottom area with 2 or 3 coins that are in mylars. This allows the surface area of the coin to show up really shiny. It also will cause the reflection from going back up the camera or microscope lens.

The "Variety Vista" and CONECA's master listing of DDO, DDR RPMs and more should be able to give you some additional info.

http://varietyvista.com/CONECA%20Master%20Listings.htm

http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20Ma...led%20dies.htm

Looks like there were Five DDO's that year. Being that this one is of silver, It eliminates two of them. Unfortunately the site doesn't document any markers that may narrow it down. Maybe another site might have more detailed info, But it is either DDO-001, DDO-002 or DDO-003.

There is a way to recoup all the TEXT data from the original IDDD website, but its a LOT of work. The photos would be the hardest portion to recover. I dug around a little bit and seen that I might be able to recover most of the text from the original site. Some of the pages from the source are broken, and it may take multiple dates to research which pages work. Someone went in and changed all the original links of the photos to a bogus advertisement, so the original file names may be lost. It would take a lot of digging and head scratching to see if the pages have original file names to help repopulate pages. It probably wouldn't be the most recent/last update to the site, but it would be better than nothing. I hate to say this, but that site needed a lot of work when it came to formatting data. Tom and his crew did have a passion for documenting the Ike's but for me, it was a confusing layout. I don't know if anyone else has the passion to redo a Ike Doubled Dies website.

I will try to email Brian Vaile and see if there is any possibility that the site will be resurrected or a new book will be published. I don't know the plans for any recovered data, nor if there is any limitations or rights to do so. It's best to try and contact some one of the original site and see if there is any interest at all in utilizing the data.

Its simply easier to get a copy of the IDDD book before it dries up and keep it as a reference. They should be available at a coin show near you, or on bookstores such as Amazon or other avenues.
        Last edited by MintErrors; 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

Originally posted by MintErrors View Post
          My personal opinion from what I see, Its a DDO for sure. I can see extra device metal and a slight engraving line on the "GOD" and most of the "TRUST". When I shoot proofs, I try to angle the coin, raising it up from the bottom area with 2 or 3 coins that are in mylars. This allows the surface area of the coin to show up really shiny. It also will cause the reflection from going back up the camera or microscope lens.

The "Variety Vista" and CONECA's master listing of DDO, DDR RPMs and more should be able to give you some additional info.

http://varietyvista.com/CONECA%20Master%20Listings.htm

http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20Ma...led%20dies.htm

Looks like there were Five DDO's that year. Being that this one is of silver, It eliminates two of them. Unfortunately the site doesn't document any markers that may narrow it down. Maybe another site might have more detailed info, But it is either DDO-001, DDO-002 or DDO-003.

There is a way to recoup all the TEXT data from the original IDDD website, but its a LOT of work. The photos would be the hardest portion to recover. I dug around a little bit and seen that I might be able to recover most of the text from the original site. Some of the pages from the source are broken, and it may take multiple dates to research which pages work. Someone went in and changed all the original links of the photos to a bogus advertisement, so the original file names may be lost. It would take a lot of digging and head scratching to see if the pages have original file names to help repopulate pages. It probably wouldn't be the most recent/last update to the site, but it would be better than nothing. I hate to say this, but that site needed a lot of work when it came to formatting data. Tom and his crew did have a passion for documenting the Ike's but for me, it was a confusing layout. I don't know if anyone else has the passion to redo a Ike Doubled Dies website.

I will try to email Brian Vaile and see if there is any possibility that the site will be resurrected or a new book will be published. I don't know the plans for any recovered data, nor if there is any limitations or rights to do so. It's best to try and contact some one of the original site and see if there is any interest at all in utilizing the data.

Its simply easier to get a copy of the IDDD book before it dries up and keep it as a reference. They should be available at a coin show near you, or on bookstores such as Amazon or other avenues.
          Tom was a very good friend of my and I talked to him also everyday about Ike Dollars .
          The person to talk to is John Wexler, about the IDDD site, they were working together over at Wexler site ....

Comment

Working...
          X