Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1940 Jefferson Nickel struck on silver dime planchet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Jefferson Nickel struck on silver dime planchet?

Friday one of the visitors at the CONECA table was a retired Electrical Engineer and he brought this coin to the table. He found it in the early 1940's and often wondered why it was different. I looked at it and told him it had the strong possibility to be a Jefferson Nickel struck on a dime planchet. I showed him a few other examples online and gave him a very rough price on what the coin could be worth. He said he was a collector when he was very young, but decided to move on to other interests, and had no desire to keep the coin. He asked me if I would buy it from him. I asked how much he'd want for the coin, and he said, I'd take $20.00 for it. I shook my head and brought him over to the CONECA table where I had a placard set up and showed him roughly what the coin was worth. He said, its not about the money, its about finding something different. So, I offered him $50.00 for the coin, and he was grinning from ear to ear. His wife was happy as well. He said he found it in change, and kept it because it was different. Now he was taking his lovely wife to dinner and left quite happy.

With a scale that goes down to the tenths of a gram, this coin weighs 2.9 grams. and it is extremely thin, under a dimes thickness.

http://www.minterrors.org/wp-content...9/IMG_2719.jpg

http://www.minterrors.org/wp-content...9/IMG_2721.jpg
    Last edited by MintErrors; 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM.
    Gary Kozera

This is an acid job, not an error.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

It would be helpful if the weight of the coin and a side view were present (one could use a tissue over the coin, if it shows through the tissue as white, it is silver, if it looks grayish, then it is nickel). If it is a dime planchet it would weigh 2.5 grams.....if it is a nickel planchet it would weigh 5 grams. As Mike mentioned acid damage, the weight would probably be in between the 2.5 grams and less than 5 grams for a nickel.
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Here is a photo showing the width of the Jefferson Nickel, compared to a wheat cent, side by side.
        TIP: its easy to take photos of coins showing the rim. I use a piece of grey foam and add a cut in the center.
        This piece of foam may have been a bit too thick, and it threw off the focusing of the camera that's on the microscope.

Though Mike D. might be right, I find it difficult to comprehend, when it comes to the thickness of this coin.
        I can see the potential issues with the acid, leaving some off color, almost burn marks on the coin.

If the Nickel planchet is roughly the width of a dime, if this is an acid job, wouldn't the devices be simply reduced to beyond recognition ?

Could it be an underweight nickel planchet ?

IMG_2785.JPG
        Last edited by MintErrors; 10-13-2016, 12:46 AM.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

I use silly puddy.

Comment

As Mike already stated, this is a classic example of being acid treated.
            James Zimmerman
            Coneca N-911
            CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer

Comment

Working...
            X