Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 DCAM DDO/DDR???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 DCAM DDO/DDR???

I found this beauty and would like some opinions on it.1964ddoddr (1).jpg1964ddoddr (2).jpg

I am a new member and still a rookie at collecting so please put up with me until I catch on.

Originally posted by rockindad View Post
    I found this beauty and would like some opinions on it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12033[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12034[/ATTACH]

I am a new member and still a rookie at collecting so please put up with me until I catch on.
    Hard to tell from those images and Coneca only has one with images showing . So here's some images from wexler site

http://www.doubleddie.com/1570076.html

Comment

Ski provides a good look how a doubled die should be. Notice that the letters on that site show the letters and numbers as wider AND typically are at the same height.
      Some of them even look like they have an additional lines at the top of letters and numbers. Its a classic sign of a doubled die prior to say 1995.

One of the first things to try to identify is an effect called machine doubling.
      In short, its damage to the coin as the die lifts up after striking the coin.
      some times when the die lifts up, it doe not clear the coin properly and a minute amount of the devices (letters numbers portrait) can be sheared away.

the easiest way to identify machine doubling is to look at the affected area and see if that area has part of the letters or design removed.
      numbers and letters will be thinner at one height and a portion of the letter will be lower.

machine doubling is called many things. But in the end, machine doubling is not worth anything.
      It's very important to understand the difference between machine doubling and doubled dies.
      Many unethical people on the internet will try to disguise machine doubling as a true doubled die so be careful out there.

I do not have a link to show the difference. Once my renovation to my new web server is complete I'll see about adding a decent article with photos and a decent tutorial.

I am sure there are other sites out there that will give great examples as well.

check John Wexlers site
      www.doubleddie.com

look for worthless doubling article in the menu to the left.
      Last edited by MintErrors; 03-01-2017, 06:04 AM.
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
      X