Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1943 Jefferson Nickel NO MM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1943 Jefferson Nickel NO MM

Here is a 1943 Jefferson nickel 35% silver with what appears to be NO mintmark on reverse. Anyone have info on this variety? Lamination error thru right side of Monticello.
    Attached Files

I've never heard of it. It's genuine, it's worth a boatload of money. But it's more likely the result of a filled die or someone intentionally removing the mintmark. Given its state of wear, it may not be possible to deduce the cause of the mintmark's absence.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I tried to show the "grain" of the reverse and how it seems undisturbed. There are no tooling marks in the area. I do notice the Cents is a bit light indicating some grease could be involved. But the rest of the letters look ok. Thank you for your response.
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Neither a struck-through error nor mechanical removal would alter the grain. I've seen many examples of numbers and letters that have been mechanically erased, and tooling marks are seldom in evidence.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hello Mike Diamond. I was speaking of the "surface" grain that appears on about a 12 degree angle upwards to the right on the fields of the reverse. Not the interior grain of the metal. Those parallel marks do not seem to be disturbed where the mintmark would be. That is where I would expect either tooling marks breaking up the surface grain or smoothness breaking up the grain lines.

Comment

Working...
          X