Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lincoln Memorial Cent off center strike question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Memorial Cent off center strike question.

Would there be anyway to distinguish if this coin was struck in 1988 or 1989 by looking at these pictures or would it be just a wild guess? I believe that you can see the top left part of the last 8 in the pictures. The reason I ask is because the reverse has the bold fg.Thank you!
    Image1150.jpgImage1151.jpgImage1154.jpgImage1152.jpg
    Last edited by amnight; 06-02-2017, 11:40 PM.

Hello:
    If the "FG" initials have serifs and the g is "fat" it may be an 89. However since there exists 1988's with an 1989 reverse, and 1989's with the non serif thinner "g" exists because of an 1988 reverse, it is a real toss-up as to the actual date. I think the photo shows an 1989 "FG" reverse since the lower vertical bar on the right looks to have a serif at the bottom with a minimal or no serif at the top of the same vertical bar. With the coin in hand, you may be able to define whether the "G" has the serif at the top of the vertical line along with the bottom serif. It still does not define whether the coin is an 88 or 89. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X