Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struck Through with something weird going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struck Through with something weird going on

This past weekend I bought a 1960-D small date bag which was in storage since 1964. I've been going through the bag, and one coin is sort of stumping me. I believe it is a struck through, but what gets me is, within the "crater" I see two impressions of the end of the memorial building, clearly and quite separated. I am thinking this coin may have been flipped after the strike with another already struck Lincoln cent on top of it, so they were reverse/reverse, a bit off-center and were struck again.

I dunno. I've had quite a few strike through's over the years and this one is perplexing.

20171211_235153.jpg

20171211_235243.jpg

20171211_235452.jpg

20171211_235546.jpg
    Gary Kozera

What you have is a cent struck through a thin, struck fragment of metal. A foil-like piece of metal (possibly a flake that spalled off another planchet) entered the striking chamber and was struck on top of a planchet. It shifted position slightly before being struck on top of a second planchet. It was then struck into a third planchet (your coin), leaving two sets of normally-oriented incuse design elements. I have seen many similar errors over the years.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Mike, Thanks for the attribution. Appreciate your time and efforts !
      Gary Kozera

Comment

sorry wrong place

Comment

Working...
        X