Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has happened to this Sweden 5 Öre 1965? Multiple struck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to this Sweden 5 Öre 1965? Multiple struck.

It is struck at least 2 times. The weight is within margin 7,96 grams (8,0).
    It is thin and BIG! The diameter is 46x43mm! A normal 5 Öre is 27mm.

See comparison with a normal 5 Öre 1965.

What has happened to it? Is it a flattened die cap? I don't get it.
    Please help me with this.
    Attached Files

Nobody wants to take a guess?

My gut tells me this coin is the real deal and not a vice job, but i can't explain how it happened. A die cap only have one side with expanded design. This coin have both sides design expanded.
    There are 2 visible strikes on each side of the coin.

At http://www.error-ref.com/part-vi-striking-errors/ there is an error called Sandwich strike between obverse and reverse die cap. How does such a coin look like? I can't find any pictures. Probably because they are exceedingly rare?

Please someone, I can't sleep...

Comment

I'll take a guess.
      1. Planchet enters chamber
      2. Strike #1
      3. Strike #2 coin out of position, maybe without the collar, maybe with
      4. 2 planchets enter chamber sandwhiching the double struck coin
      5. those coins get pulverized a couple of times
      6. You inherit a beauty of an error!

Comment

Thank you for your guess! It's something like that I would imagine. Do you have a lot of experience in error coins?

I just never thought that I would have to wait for more than a year on CONECAS official forum for a response.

Comment

1st time user to the site. I've been collecting since i was a kid. At least 35 years. Being 50 years old I'm at a point where I'm actually getting involved in this club. Been a life member for over 20 years. Read alot.

I've been working through pounds of foreign erros and found a good number of doubled dies, so i check this place out. Saw your coin.

It still could be a vise job, but there is no denying that the coin had two solid hits while in the press..... I doubt anyone would vice a double stuck piece..... very cool coin.

Comment

Working...
          X