Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Interesting 1878s morgan with square s

  1. #1

    Default Interesting 1878s morgan with square s

    I was looking through some Morgan Dollars when I came across this 1878 s . I noticed that the s was distorted with definite lines on both sides. It looks like someone may have altered the mint mark to make it look like an s. But why would someone alter such a cheap coin? So I figured that I would submit the coin to see what your opinion is.

  2. #2


    I would need to see it under a microscope to draw a conclusion. It could be a repunched mintmark or a chipped letter punch. Not really sure.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

  3. #3


    Thanks Mike I will be submitting the coin to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts