Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1918-D Lincoln Cent Strike Thru Grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918-D Lincoln Cent Strike Thru Grease?

I enjoyed Denny P.'s article in Volume 26 Number 6 of ErrorScope regarding Struck Thru Mint Errors. It caused me to revisit a PCGS slabbed Lincoln Cent in a sample type holder (why it was ever slabbed is another mystery!). The obverse has the expected circulated wear with defined rims and device outlines...but the reverse is mushy and smooth and rimless as you can see. Opinions on this being a possible strike thru grease example?
    Attached Files
    Bob
    CONECA Member

wow, this is pretty well worn. Mike D. will probably nail this on the head, and may amplify on why it is, or isn't. With the photos as is, Its definately hard to tell. I have quite a few of these but most are BU or real close to BU, so it's a little easier to make a call. It could very well be a struck through, but I am not feeling the love on this one. I always ask myself, what would others think of this coin, and how can I prove what I see? With the above photos displayed, I'd probably acknowledge the coin could be a struck through, but tell the owner that the coin is well worn and too hard to convince others of this issue. Sure I see what I see as a rimless reverse, but man - this is a tough one.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

It just looks horribly worn to me.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
      X