Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994-P cent What kind of error is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994-P cent What kind of error is this?

What I see:
    1. coin is bent i.e. cupped with the dishing centered on the coin. Reverse is concave, Obverse is convex
    2. Wear on Linc's head and the reverse rim seems to be to be damage from being stuck in a counting mochine. Commonly seen and I almost discarded when I first saw it.
    3. The letters seem to be raised about 1/2 of a normal strike. And the top is not flat but dished, being highest in the center.
    4. Around the perimeter of each letter, numbers and the inside of the"O"s is a ridge of metal, raised above the letter and the field.

Been collecting for a long time but have never seen anything like it.
    What do you all think?

1994 error obv-edge view 2--.jpg1994 error obv-rev.jpg1994 error obv 1.jpg1994 error rev 1.jpg1994 error rev 2sm.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ralph1492; 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM.

It's not an error. It's a damaged cent. All surfaces have been thoroughly pummeled, most likely in the fins of an industrial dryer.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks for your input Mike.
      Seems to me that there are three things going on here. One is the result of the coin being slightly, but uniformly cupped. This could have happened where? The resulting wear on the high edges of the coin could easily be caused by resulting extra thickness causing it to get caught in a counting mochine? And secondly, the roughness of the field and letter. And thirdly, the raised ridge of metal around the perimeter of the letters and numbers. You wrote this was the result of pummeling. Someplace like a dryer? But in that case, we see selective pummeling that affects the field and the letters but NOT the raised ridge of metal?

So you propose that selective pummeling/hammering raised a ridge of metal completely around all the letters, both obv. and rev? While, at the same time, beating the field and the letters, they are not smooth, to death? And, leaving the outer rim relatively smooth and intact as it is rolling around in some mochine? This is why I asked the question. How did this happen?

What I still cannot understand is how a random hammering or pummeling can RAISE a ridge of metal, both copper and zinc, COMPLETELY all the way around the letters? In my long experience as a certified aircraft mechanic, hammering on metal ALWAYS deforms, flattens the metal. Hammering on a coins devices should flatten them, not raise a uniform ridge of metal all the way the perimeter, including the inside edges of the "D"s and "O"s, leaving a DEPRESSION where the letter is. Seems to me that since the effect, the raised ridge of metal, is so uniform it had to have been done with a die at the mint? But how? Some kind of strike thru? What am I missing here? Please enlighten my understanding.

Thanks.

Comment

Coins with this type of damage are common. The exact details of how it happened really isn't important. All that matters is that a coin with this appearance could not have emerged from the striking chamber looking like this. This is my last comment on this coin.

Comment

Thank you Mike. I asked and you responded. Partially, I don't agree, wish you could see the coin instead of my poor 2D photo. I believe you would change your opinion... And to me, knowing the process is just as important as knowing the result. To each his own. Besides, what do I know? I'm just a dumb aircraft mechanic and pilot whose Dad got him started looking thru pennies 60 years ago when Wheat-backs were the only Lincoln cents ever made. I still enjoy looking, great hobby. Only started looking for error coins about 4 years ago.So I'm still trying to learn all I can.
          Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Mike , I am a newbie here. I have a coin that I would like you to look at. I do I copy a photo from Photobucket ? It's a 1994D but the D has been double stamped . One D is at a 45 degrees and the other is straight up and down.

Comment

Ranger 101, it's always best to start a new thread when introducing a new coin. What you describe is impossible, as the D-mintmark became part of the master hub in 1990. But feel free to provide a link to your Photobucket images. -- Mike Diamond

Comment

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5_165941_2.jpg hope this works Ranger101

Comment

The D-mintmark on your coin has been pushed up and distorted by subsurface corrosion (i.e., zinc rot). It's not an error.

Comment

Working...
                  X