Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1936 Lincoln Cent thin planchet - Possible Acid treated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Lincoln Cent thin planchet - Possible Acid treated?

I had another dealer bring a coin to me. He's a retired Senior Chief from the US Navy.

Its an extremely thin cent. It's a 1936 Lincoln Cent which is heavy worn. It weighs 0.8 grams. MAN this thing is paper thin.
    Originally I thought it could have a good chance until I had the time to sit down and closely look at the coin.
    I did go back to him and explain what I now think it is, but I'd ask the resident experts for a second opinion.

These photos were pulled off my LG G4 phone and I hope they are clear enough.

I personally think it was probably dipped in some sort of acidic bath. It looks like the rim near 3-4 o'clock is lower.
    It also looks like some of the field in that general area is low.
    Add in the fact that some of the field in that area show some sort of disturbance, and I know think it makes this cent questionable.

Another area of concern is at 10 O'clock, but it is not as bad as the above mentioned area.
    Most of the coin overall looks "mushy", or not well defined.
    If this was a thin planchet, this may happen to since there is not much metal to strike between the dies.
    BUT it can also happen when an acid of some time flows between and on the devices and fields.

Lastly, its a nearly perfect strike as well - not off center and its pretty round.
    It may not be completely filled out with all details, but that could have lessened by the acidic bath eating away at the thickness and diameter of the coin as well.

No major ravines on the coin as in a typical strong acid bath, but to me, it looks suspect. What do you all think ?

20180218_095854.jpg

20180218_095930.jpg

20180218_100132.jpg
    Last edited by MintErrors; 02-18-2018, 11:00 PM.
    Gary Kozera

This is clearly an acid-dipped cent.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks for the second opinion Mike.
      I appreciate your extra efforts in here - no matter how exciting or boring items can be in here =)

One day soon I hope some one brings in a Bell Ringer !
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
      X