Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973-D Kennedy Half (CONECA DDO-001)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973-D Kennedy Half (CONECA DDO-001)

After a few years on hiatus from numismatics, I recently started roll hunting again. I was teaching my 10yo daughter how to use the Cherrypicker's Guide as we were going through a stack of 1973-D Kennedy halves. I was quite surprised when we came across this particular circulated sample. I only have a cheap usb microscope and a camera with bad lighting, but did my best to get a clear image on the pick up point on WE TRUST and the 3. What are your thoughts? In the Guide it claims that this variety had been mostly found in the Kansas City area, but this one was found in the Big Empty State of Wyoming!

KENNEDY_HALF-1973D-DD0_001-WE_TRUST-2.jpg
    KENNEDY_HALF-1973D-DDO_001-E_TRUST_3-HD.jpg

73D DDO-001 Kennedy Half Dollar FS-50-1973D-101 (14.8)

Looks like the CONECA listed 73D DDO-001 to me. Checkout the CONECA Master Listings...http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20Ma...94.htm#_1973-D.
    Also you can see photos in James Wiles The Kennedy Half Dollar Book, see attached photo of page 261. DSCN8448.jpg

Comment

That looks like a really handy book there! I'll have to save up a bit and see if I can get a copy of that. I found some references online somewhere showing all of the areas of doubling and it all matches up. Seeing that page though clarifies doubling in the hair for me though. I wasn't too sure if that doubling was actually there or if he was meant to have split ends.

Comment

Nice Find!

Comment

Working...
        X