Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virginia VNA Coin Convention - CONECA odd ball sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia VNA Coin Convention - CONECA odd ball sightings

I was at the Virginia VNA Coin Convention from the 20th to the 23rd. I looked at a lot of coins for the customers.

Three that stood out I will try to address each here.

The first was a 1955 cent. It looked like it was of a different metal, weighing 3.87 grams. Looking at the obverse, it looked like it had a double rim, and at the show I didnt have the time to dissect this as I wanted to. I flipped the coin over and noticed the tab at the top of Lincolns' head, or bottom of the reverse. I flipped it over again and thought it may have been a silver plated 1955 with the remains of a brooch or pendant ring on the outer edge. I didn't see a clear separation line all the way around so I had tell the older gentleman I'd have to ask Mr. Mike Diamond for a bit of help or clarification. Here are the photos.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

The second was what looks like a split planchet. I could see a faint impression of Lincoln on what was the obverse.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

And last but not least, is a questionable nickel. The owner thought it was simply a strike through reverse and when I looked at it under the scope, and laughed, he asked what was up. I asked him if he noticed the extra letters on the obverse. he said no.......

PUP is NW near Jeffersons' head, NW orientation.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg
    Last edited by MintErrors; 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM.
    Gary Kozera

The 1955 cent was plated and set in a bezel (jewelry housing).
    The second cent appears to have split after the strike. If it's underweight, that would support my remote diagnosis.
    The nickel is a "squeeze job". What you have are contact marks from other coins (incuse letters, rim impressions, etc.).

So only the undated cent is an error.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
    X