Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1941 D MS66 25c questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 D MS66 25c questions

I was submitting coins in the late 90's-2000's. Recently I began rediscovering RPM,OVM,MMM etx. on many of my graded coins. Also wondering why some annotation to FS or (+) wasn't used even thought this coin has an outstanding punch, crisp details,centered, luster and eye appeal. I know the RPM descriptors were not recognized until recently but is that true with FS and (+) also? Could this be the reason this coin did not receive a better MS grade?This coin is now toned an even medium golden and I was wanting to re-submit for a re-grade or cross-over with attribution. Cost effective? [magnified 200x times, this is a MS66]

WRPM-001 has DM listed "None significant" Cross References: CONECA: RPM #3, Cherrypickers: FS-05-1941D-501 (024.3),
    WRPM-002 DM "Higher grade needed" Cross References: CONECA: RPM #2
    WRPM-003 DM ""None significant" Cross References: None known
    WIN_20181229_23_13_02_Pro.jpgWIN_20181229_23_13_13_Pro.jpgWIN_20181229_23_32_32_Pro.jpgWIN_20181229_23_30_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20181229_23_12_27_Pro.jpgWIN_20181229_23_35_46_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by tamster; 12-30-2018, 12:20 PM.

Professional grading is a fool's game. Assigned grades are not reproducible, from grader to grader, from day to day, or from company to company. Assigned grades are arbitrary and capricious. Broadly speaking, they are meaningless. This is especially true of errors, where you can find grossly damaged error coins that have been given lofty MS grades while unblemished errors are given low MS grades or are graded AU. It's why I have never submitted one of my coins to a grading service and never will.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks M Diamond, I wished I had thought like that when the new idea of tiered TPG companies was young and gung ho.It was commonplace for the local dealers to push coin grading as a hedge against inflation and many sheep, myself included. followed. I've been at this "hobby" from pre- TPG until about 8 years ago. Somewhere along the way I missed that thought of top tire graded coins dropping in value somewhat like gasoline, wheat and other commodities. Now in my twilight zone( I mean years) I find myself with more value in plastic slabs that the contents inside. PCGS Graded MS or Proofs selling for $1.99 or less? Sold a 1901-O $1 MS64 for 3 above melt last week. Ah but for the days when collecting was fun and just "the thing to do"........if not for your articles, I would think of this activity as a total waste of time and resources. But alas comes RPM's and Errors to give the TPG's one more punch in the eye forcing their compliance to the collectors instead of a giant ring of dealers....

Comment

@diamond said "Professional grading is a fool's game. Assigned grades are not reproducible"... Well put Mr. Diamond. With knowledge of your perspective, what is the industry standard procedure for recognizing a given error and documentation of it? I have been told time and time again "then get it attributed and GRADED for a definitive answer to its' validity"...I detest the capitalized word especially in the context of an error. It's either, 1. a pre-attributed error 2. different kind of error than one was looking at 3. never been attributed or 4. the always ready to use but not generally well elaborated PMD. From one that doesn't know how, what are the steps (real world laymen) in getting a yet un-found error recognized without TPG involvement? I was very recently told by a large error dealer from California "you will have to have it graded to sell it"...which wasn't my question or motivation. I simply would like to know what it might be called in order to direct my studies efficiently. Attribution ( a new term to me just like CAC! another thread for that) seems the logical route to go. Of course there are many of them, just like in the pre-PCGS days when multiple Slabber company's coins were flooding the US market as souvenirs with MS70 Grades. (confusing to most ). How do you begin the search for the proper numismatist to attribute an error? I tried once with things like 1985 D Lincoln Cent Struck on Brass and 1982 1c Lincoln Memorial Penny Large Date Zinc and was laughed off by Wiles, JC Stevens and K Potter for just enquiringly. So I must have gone at this from the wrong perspective. If you have the time to write an answer or refer to an article for clarification I would be very thankful. So there you go! A 65 year olds' troll question. ~It's not about worth but about feeling personal accomplishment.~ THX

Comment

I can only tell you that the grading services do a poor job when confronted with errors that are subtle, obscure, novel, compound, or complex. They're not all that reliable with respect to simple, straightforward errors. Your best (and cheapest) option in seeking an accurate diagnosis (or attribution) is to post an inquiry on this message board or others frequented by knowledgeable individuals.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
          X