Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1947 fonts used on wheat pennies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 fonts used on wheat pennies

Hello I found a 1947 penny that doesn’t look right. There is something going on with the 4 and 7 and the mint mark as well. My question is what font did they use? Did they change it? I found on google several images where there appears to be 2 separate fonts on the 4 as well. One appears to have a flat top and little shorter and the other looks like it’s taller and comes to a point at the top. Am I just tripping here?
    Attached Files

BJ Neff did a study of Master Hubs & Master Dies of the Lincoln Cents from 1909 to 2006. Below are his notes for 1947.

A STUDY ON THE NUMERIC FONT USED WITH THE LINCOLN CENT

When the 1909 Lincoln cent appeared, it seemed that the U. S. Mint had adopted the use of the “OLD STYLE” or hanging numeric font. This particular style had the first three digits, 0, 1 and 2 in normal case, the 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9 as descending digits (parts below the normal case) and the 6, 8 as ascending digits (parts above the case). However, when the 1910 Lincoln cent appeared, for some reason the 0 was out of size and not in the style of the hanging numeric font. The departure from “OLD STYLE” did not stop with this date for the years 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917 and 1918 also did not follow the style; the only dates that did were 1916 and 1919.
    The 1920 decade followed the same pattern with only 1926 and 1929 being of the “OLD STYLE”. However, in 1934 the 3 digit became the second digit to descend only to switch back to the normal case the next year. In 1943, the 3 digit once again switched back to a descending numeral and has stayed that way throughout the Lincoln cent series.
    In 1947, the 7 digit became descended, however in 1957, it switched back to the normal case and stayed that way until 1974, where it again became a descended numeral and continued so until the present

1947 – There are no changes to the master die.
    a. The 4 digit’s crossbar and diagonal bar which is
    angled at 45 degrees, are now the same length.
    The foot has a serif and is the same length as
    the arm. The vertical bar’s upper terminus is
    slightly tilted to the right. The 7 digit is different
    than the one used in 1937; this 7 is descended.

NOTE: Through most of the 1940 Lincoln cent series, the 1 digit appears to be the same height as the 9 digit. However, in 1943, 1944 and 1948 the 1 digit appears higher and slightly tilted to the right than the 9 digit. This may mean that the same master die was used for these years and it was just a bit different than the one used for all the other years. Since the changes are minute, I did not annotate them as a possible master hub change, however, I did want to make note of the possibilities.

Comment

The only differences I have seen are due to die polishing plus the fact that two different Minmark styles were used that year.
      Ken Potter
      CONECA Public Relations
      Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
      Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
      Visit CONECA's Website
      Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Working...
      X