Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big pics to document die varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big pics to document die varieties

I started experimenting with Stack and Stitch, and have shot several Lincoln Cent die varieties and other interesting coins such as a Very Early Die State (VEDS) coin.

You can view the coins on the EasyZoom website, where I am hosting the images due to their large size of ~100-200MP. The site allows you to zoom-in to see the details. As an example, here is 1955-S/S/S RPM#1:

https://easyzoom.com/image/157586/album/0/4?mode=manage

These images are the culmination of about a decade of work to allow me to show a single full-coin image of a die variety which can be zoomed-in to see the variety markers, stage markers, and surface details on any area of the coin. This gives a much better view of the coin than a typical 5-10 shot documentation of a variety, since those cannot cover the entire coin on obverse and reverse like the full-coin shots can.

Would like to hear any comments on the images and the usefulness in documenting die varieties.
    Last edited by Ray Parkhurst; 06-02-2020, 01:23 AM.

I think it's brilliant and should accompany magnified images on all listing sites.
    Error Ref editor

Comment

That is beautiful work! Thank you!

Comment

Been researching stack and stitch and was impressed, but THAT is a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks TerritorialFan, makeco, and Shane Daniel. I have linked to 3 more examples of these high resolution SnS images on the Attribution page. I used them to help JCuve to see the variety details (and any markers) on some new DDOs and a DDO/RPM that I'm hoping will be new CONECA listings. Check them out at the CONECA Services > Attributions sub-forum. Note that there are a few more images at the EasyZoom site including a VEDS 56-D LWC, a couple of BIEs, etc. If you navigate to my images you should be able to link to them. Thanks again for the kind comments...Ray

Edited to add: it seems the Forum functionality has changed. I can now only see my own threads on the Attribution page. The other threads that were visible from other people have disappeared.
          Last edited by Ray Parkhurst; 12-18-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I just published two new coins in high resolution. First is my discovery coin of the 1950-S RPM-017. I shot the obverse with two lighting angles, so there are two images uploaded to EasyZoom. See the coin here:

Obverse and Reverse with normal lighting:

https://easyzoom.com/image/238425/album/0/4?mode=manage

Obverse with lighting coming from 90-deg right:

https://easyzoom.com/image/238431/album/0/4?mode=manage

I also published my copy of the 1960-D DDO-001 RPM-100 FS-101/501 (25.5). Just the obverse, see it here:

https://easyzoom.com/image/238557/album/0/4?mode=manage

Comment

I recently published a couple new example coins I shot in high resolution using a new technique. My previous shots were using the "Subject-Pan" technique, which moves the coin+lights vs the camera+lens. My new technique moves the coin+lights+lens vs the camera, and IMO results in a more aesthetically pleasing presentation of the coin, while still giving full resolution to show the variety.

Here's 1954-D RPM#1:
              https://easyzoom.com/image/239899/album/0/4?mode=manage

And here's 1949-S DDO#1:
              https://easyzoom.com/image/242497/album/0/4?mode=manage

Both are just the obverse, but are 90MP (9500x9500 pixels).

Comment

How big are the files when you upload them to the site?
                Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                Lead attributer

Comment

Originally posted by jcuve View Post
                  How big are the files when you upload them to the site?
                  As an example, the 49-S is 93.4MB. It is a jpg. I do processing in tifs to keep resolution, and only go with jpg at the end to publish. The tifs at 640MB.

Comment

I like the photo of the LMDS/LDS 1949S DDO-001 - it easy to zoom in and out (especially on my new computer) - but It's a bit unpractical to have an image that large. I probably could get the needed details out of a handful of detail images (max 1200 pixels wide) taking up a few MBs total. These are older shots of an EDS.

1949S_DDO-001b1.jpg 1949S_DDO-001b2.jpg
                    1949S_DDO-001b3.jpg

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                    Lead attributer

Comment

I'm not sure about them being impractical, though certainly they need special attention for hosting. There are many coins posted with the "standard" images which have additional PUPs missed due to lack of coverage. My concept is to shoot the whole coin such that all the details are available to compare.

Comment

One thing about the large pics is that they are taken with a single lighting style/direction, where the individual pics can have lighting optimized to best show the die markers. I've been shooting with my normal 10:00-2:00 lighting that I use for full-coin pics. This style of lighting will show the details but won't always pick up the shadows and highlights for best effect for attributions. I have experimented with other styles, and it looks like a single swept-lighting from 1-3 does a good job of lighting the whole coin while still giving the directionality needed to show the details.

I'll probably re-shoot the 49-S DDO with this style, but first I shot a new 44-S DDO I found to give the new style a try. I have also posted this new DDO to the Attributions sub-forum for review. The doubling shows on the 944 of the date (and a little on the 1), plus on the R of TRUST (and a little on the 2nd T). It also has an odd split eyelid that I have not seen before.

https://easyzoom.com/image/243152/album/0/4?mode=manage

Comment

Working...
                        X