Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Doubling on Peace Dollars very common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Doubling on Peace Dollars very common?

Hello everyone! Hope all had a nice safe Thanksgiving Holiday. Is anyone aware of a large number of Peace Dollars having doubling errors, whether mechanical or hub doubling? I have several Peace $$$ (as listed below) that exhibit some type of doubling.
    I have a 1921-P with extra thick lettering on Obv and Rev, Spikes in crown, Date, and possibly Reverse doubling on eagle feathers around feet area and eagle's eye and all lettering on Obv and Rev.
    I also have (3)1922-Ps (2) Doubling on Obv Date and the word "LIBERTY" w/1 also doubling on neck and on Hair under the R in "LIBERTY". Also noted on this coin is what appears to be the imprint of the crown spikes that runs across the eye and into the hair. The mark doesn't touch the low area between the eye and hair. Any ideas on how this might have happened? The 3rd final 1922-P seems to be without any noticable doubling on the coin.
    Next I have a 1926-S with Obv Doubling on the word "LIBERTY" and Spikes in crown.
    I have (2)1928-S (no pics) (1) of which exhibits doubling of the 8 in the date, WE, the word LIBERTY and crown spikes. The 2nd doesn't exhibit any doubling that I can tell.
    Lastly, I have a 1934-S with Obv Doubling on the word "LIBERTY", Spikes on crown, and "34" in Date. The doubling on the crown spikes and lettering on this coin is to the left, whereas it is to the right on all the other coins as you will notice from the pics.
    Seems like a lot of mint errors with the Peace $$ from what I have found on these coins. I haven't been able to capture the doubling in the pics that accurately deplict the doubling but, I have posted a few pics that may help tell the story. Your input is much appreciated. Many thanks! Fran P.S. All pics didn't post so I added a reply with addt'l pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by searching4errors; 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM.

Machine doubling and die deterioration doubling are common on all denominations. Your last photo seems to show machine doubling.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Is Doubling on Peace Dollars very common?

I guess my Thread was too long to allow for the other pics of the Peace $$ so I am attaching them here. I have added one pic of the 1921 P Reverse also. I tried searching to see how many words are allowed per thread/post but, didn't find the answer. Sorry for the lengthy Thread. Any info as to what type of doubling you see in any of the pics will be greatly appreciated. Thanks once again for your input. Have a nice day!
      Fran
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply, Mike. I figured that most of the coins probably had some other type of doubling rather than hub doubling. Does the fact that the doubling is on either the left or right of the device have any bearing on which type of doubling it is? I'm having trouble determining one from another. Thanks again!
        Fran

Comment

Working...
        X