Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Doubled Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1923 D 200 Mark German Weimar Republic

Another eBay find...

A 1923 D 200 Mark German (Weimar Republic) Doubled Die

I'm not even sure if this is technically a coin. It was minted during the hyper inflation that occurred in Germany from 1921 to 1923 and was pretty much worthless the day it was minted. It is the size of a quarter, as thin as a dime, and made out of aluminum. It is of worse quality than a 'Chuck-E-Cheese' token. There may be a million of these floating around, but it was a great doubled die and I just had to add it to my foreign DV collection.

The left side has the least amount of spread and it gets stronger moving clock-wise around the coin.

The spread is heavier at 12:00 o'clock. Note the split in the bird beak.

The spread on the right is just plain wild. To add to the confusion, it appears to have mechanical/strike doubling in addition to being a true hub doubled die.

The bottom is back to showing less of a spread. Note the notch in the star and the the doubled claw tips.

If you think our current economic times are bad -- just look back in history to see what happens when a country decides to pay off its debt by simply printing more money. By the fall of 1923, the German Mark was pretty much worthless. It would take several 200 Mark coins just to buy a postage stamp. Notes were issued in excess of a billion marks and local cities started printing their own local money in an attempt to control the chaos. It was during this time that the seeds of fascism began to take root.

I wonder what 1,001,100,201.25 Marks could buy in 1923. Probably not much.
    Last edited by russellhome; 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Great looking doubled die Ken. I imagine that a lot of these were lost or melted down for use in other purposes since it was not worth anything.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Here's a 1990 2 Pfennig Doubled Die, I stopped at my bank to purchase some rolls of cents hoping to get some Lincoln's out of the rolls (live in Canada) and this was in one of them.

Comment

That is a very nice doubled die. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one. Found in a Canadian cent roll! What are the chances of that happening?

Comment

Ken, that 2 franc appears to be a hub foubling. RPD, as well. The E, and D both show this. BTW that was the year my wife was born, in June.
            Dick

Comment

1988 F (Stuttgart) German 2 Mark Doubled Die

An ugly coin (IMO) but a very nice doubled die! Minted in Stuttgart, Germany. The 2 Mark coin is larger than a U.S. quarter - and smaller than a half dollar.

Comment

VERY NICE!!!
                CONECA Errorsope Editor

Comment

I agree, not pleasant in the way of design on the obverse. Nice doubled die.

Comment

Very nice Ken.

BJ Neff
                    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It is a nice addition to my ever-growing foreign coin DV collection.

I do have a question that I have been unable to find an answer for on the web. I know that the Euro was introduced in 1999 and became the official currency of the initial "union" countries in 2002. I also found out that there is a fixed and indefinite exchange rate for cashing in marks to euros. But what I don't know and want to find out is... what did the German government do with the old coinage once it was exchanged and pulled from circulation?

I would guess that most were destroyed (recycled metal) but I really have no idea. This 1988 coin likely had no collector value at the time of the exchange -- and it certainly wouldn't win any beauty contests. So I wonder how many of the original mintage might have survived? I imagine it will be much like Morgan dollar stated mintages not accounting for those melted for silver value. Due to massive numbers being melted down, only time will tell how 'rare' some dates and mints truly are.
                      Last edited by russellhome; 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Here`s a 1 franc coin from Belgium, 1962, with some nice
                        doubling on the date, stars and letters at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                        X