Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Transitional Reverse Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Transitional Reverse Cent

Hi All,
    After reading about the recent discovery of a 1988 cent made with the reverse die types intended for 1989, read about at the variety vista website here:

http://www.varietyvista.com/1988PRDV006%20cent.htm

I started to look for this curiousity. I believe I've found one, which has the characteristic flared G of the designer's initials, see photos. Are there other markers? It seems like the 1989 type to me but I'd like to double check.

Some of the die scratches on the obverse are the same as detailed on the variety vista coin but I can't see any real indication of the die clash that's illustrated on the obverse.

Thanks all!
    Attached Files

It does look like you may have the one. James Wiles will be better at determining if it the transitional coin. The die clash, which is one of the die markers, may have not yet happened on your coin and that is why you are not seeing it.

BJ Neff
    Last edited by wavysteps; 08-19-2007, 04:28 PM.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

The designer's initials are the right style the transitional piece. As BJ said, your coin could be before the clash. Or it could have a different obverse die. Or it could be a different die altogether. I would love to see it in person. Send me an email for the details.
      CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Congratulations!! This is indeed the transitional RDV-006. The die state is a little earlier than the discovery piece, so the clash does not show yet. But the die scratches are all there. I hope to have it up on varietyvista soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWiles View Post
          Congratulations!! This is indeed the transitional RDV-006. The die state is a little earlier than the discovery piece, so the clash does not show yet. But the die scratches are all there. I hope to have it up on varietyvista soon.
          Thanks! Am I correct in thinking that because the die scratches are there, it's the same die pair as the discovery piece? Does it then imply that there's not many out there since there's only one die pair (so far)?

Comment

James can correct me if I'm wrong but it may take a little time to see how many pairs (is that a word) of dies are involved. As people begin to look for these, more evidence of other die combinations may show up.

Thanks,
            Bill

Comment

Yes, yours is from the same die pair and right now it is the only one reported. We will just have to wait and keep looking for others before we can determine how rare it might or might not be.

Comment

Is this what you are discussing about a transitional reverse die. I found this one on a 1988D. If that is what it is. Not sure if I am on the right track here. Please excuse the newbeeness

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven - Would you believe that I more than expected to see one on a 1988-D Lincoln cent, that is the transitional design of the designer's initials.
                  Of course, I am sure that James Wiles will want to see this coin to verify what it is and add it to the site.

Congratulations on a nice find Steven.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thanks BJ,
                    I was looking through rolls and took a brake to serf the coin sites and saw this thread. Started looking again and found this one. I won't get my hopes up that it is unique
                    Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                      Thanks BJ,
                      I was looking through rolls and took a brake to serf the coin sites and saw this thread. Started looking again and found this one. I won't get my hopes up that it is unique
                      Steven
                      Nice find!

Comment

Steven: I beleive that indeed is the RDV-006 and thus a transitional for the 1988-D. I would love to see it first hand for photography and inclusion in the CONECA files.

Comment

When was this transitional variety originally discovered?

To date, how many (confirmed and/or unconfirmed) examples are known to exist?

Comment

Hi Car10 - The first transitional cent, the 1988P with a 1989 reverse, was discovered about two months ago. I believe that James Wiles has attributed two.

The discovery of a possible 1988D transitional cent (I am 99% sure that it is) by Steven, happened in this forum and hopefully Steven has made contact with Dr. Wiles so that he may examine this possible new addition to the files.

Due to the nature of how these transitional coins are made, I doubt that many will surface and will have a count similar to the 1992D Lincoln cent with a closed AM of AMERICA.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thank you for the info. I have an interest because I too have sent one to Dr. Wiles for confirmation. He received it yesterday. From him it is going to ICG.

Comment

Working...
                              X