Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Transitional Reverse Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car10: Yours indeed is the transitional RDV-006. It is the stage B, EMDS and is now on its way to ICG. Yours makes number 3 I have confirmed, all from the same die.
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Great News!! Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Car10 View Post
        Great News!! Thank you sir.
        Car10, I see you're in Boston. I'm in Maine and given that we've found 2 out of the 3 1988 RDV-006 cents so far, I wonder if they're localized in the Northeast- lucky us!

Comment

That could be. It would make sense that it was originally released in this general area. Perhaps the original release of these coins, almost 19 years ago, was somewhere in the northeast. A coin could travel quite a distance in that amount of time but I don't think mine got out much though. It must have been hidden away for most of those years. I am expecting to get it back from ICG as at least MS-66RD.
          Last edited by Car10; 09-14-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Not sure here, what do you think about this 1989P. Maybe used the 88 reverse die in 89 ??? The position seems to be a bit different as well. The second photo is for comparison.
            Steven

Comment

I've been looking for these too... I think yours is a normal 1989 reverse that has seen a lot of wear, and polishing- even though the letters are thinner than normal, the shape is still the normal shape.

Comment

Hi Steven - Took my a bit of thinking on this one and even though the die is worn, I do believe that this is the RDV-006 and not the RDV-005 reverse (or it is the correct reverse for that year, 1989) that we are looking at in both pictures.

If you look at the "F" you will notice that in 1988, both arms were approximately the same length, while in 1989 the middle arm was much short her that the top.

Question; did you ever get the 1988-D with possible RDV-006 attributed? That is the one that is very interesting.

BJ Neff
                Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ,
                  I sent you a PM.

Comment

I'm a little dissappointed. I got it back from ICG today in a MS64RD holder. It is designated as "CONECA variety RDV-006 reverse style of 1989". ICG appears to grade modern Lincolns more strictly than NGC does. Still I'm glad it's home!

Comment

Originally posted by Car10 View Post
                      I'm a little dissappointed. I got it back from ICG today in a MS64RD holder. It is designated as "CONECA variety RDV-006 reverse style of 1989". ICG appears to grade modern Lincolns more strictly than NGC does. Still I'm glad it's home!
                      Thanks for posting that- I was wondering how they would attribute it.

Comment

Hi Car10 - Somehow I do not feel sorry for you (LOL) for if this die has near the value of the 1992-D Lincoln cent, closed AM, which is a transitional coin, which I think it will, you are looking at a very, Very, VERY pretty penny.

Conratulations on a great find and an excellent grade.

BJ Neff

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
                          Hi Car10 - Somehow I do not feel sorry for you (LOL) for if this die has near the value of the 1992-D Lincoln cent, closed AM, which is a transitional coin, which I think it will, you are looking at a very, Very, VERY pretty penny.

Conratulations on a great find and an excellent grade.

BJ Neff
                          Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll have happy numismatic dreams tonight.

Comment

Received the 1988D back from James Wiles today listed as 1988D RDV-006, Die 1, stage A, EDS.

Thank you Mr. Wiles.
                            Steven

Comment

Steven - Great going and a very nice find. Just goes to show you what is waiting to be found out there.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

BJ Neff

Comment

Beautiful! Nice job Steven. Add another variety to the list of Lincoln cents to be on the lookout for. Thank you for the info and awesome photos. Just curious, what part of the country did you find that in? Did you find it searching circulated rolls?

Comment

Working...
                                X