Thread: Shattered die nickel

Default Shattered die nickel

I found this is a mixed bankroll a few weeks ago. The year is actually 1983. This is the best picture I could get. What do you guys think? Shattered die, or not?

shattereddie.jpg

Heavy clash marks. The dies smacked into each other when a planchet failed to be fed into the striking chamber.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Oh, I see it! Very cool! I've wanted one of those for a while. Even if it's not a shattered die, it's a nice roll find!

Thanks, Mike!

So, do you know what one like that would be worth? I don't wanna sell it, just curious. My book says $5-$10 and up, but is that a lot more than mine is worth?

The clash is quite strong but the coin grades only AU at best. I'd say $10 is in the ballpark.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Thanks again! The coin doesn't seem to be quite AU. There are several contact marks and some wear. When you see it in person, it looks like VF-XF. I'll mark it at $5 just to be safe, so no one takes it to CoinStar sometime in the future.

I have another Jeff that looks like it could be a laminated die, rather than a laminated planchet. I'll get pics up here sometime this week. I might be completely off again!