Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it is a striking error, but what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it is a striking error, but what?

While I do understand varieties, my knowledge of striking errors is somewhat limited. Case in point; these are pictures of what I believe is a 1983 Lincoln cent.

While the reverse seems normal, the obverse is definitely not. One feature that I could not capture is the indent on the obverse of the Memorial building outline. I have a feeling that this was caused by at least two planchets/coins in the striking chamber. HELP!!!!

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

BJ. I would call that a struck through late stage capped die. The die cap has thinned out enough for Lincoln to start showing through.
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Yes, it's a generic capped die strike. I'm not sure if it's a conventional late-stage die cap, or a mid- to late-stage uniface die cap. The two are almost impossible to distinguish as they both allow a ghost image of Lincoln to bleed through. There's something going on at the base of the left side of the Memorial. Seems to be a raised blemish of some sort. Die damage?

A capped die strike from a uniface die cap is easier to distinguish when there is just a trace of Lincoln's ghost, but no sign of the incuse pillars of the Memorial.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

James and Mike - Thank you for your replies. I had an idea that this was due to a capped die, but was not real sure.

As with all 1983 (just about) reverses, this has its share of die cracks and chips. The left base does have a die chip that extends as a crack to the rim. The right base has a die crack to the rim as does the left roof corner, through the E of UNITED into the rim and the right cornice corner has a die crack that touches the R of AMERICA on its way to the rim. Also, the die has been abraded to remove at least two different die clashes. Busy reverse, LOL.

Thanks again.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X