Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misplaced mint mark, or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misplaced mint mark, or is it?

We have seen our share of die anomalies that appear to be one thing but turn out to be another. Fine examples of these occurances are the 1980 D & S Lincoln cent and the 1956 D & S Lincoln cent, where both the supposed S mint marks were in fact something else. So, how about this one?

This is a 1954-D Lincoln cent with what looks to be a misplaced mint mark. Plainly visiable are the two serifs and also peeking out from the middle of the 4, the continuation of the D's loop. Looks great, UNTIL!!!!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...2003/1954b.jpg

Yes, James Wiles has seen this one and it is not a misplaced mint mark, just a darn good mimic of one.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

I readily agree this is some type of die damage. It is too small to be a mintmark and there is no hole in the center. It is definitely a fooler.
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Misplaced MM?

[SIZE="5"] BJ, please excuse the large type. I am getting to where if it isn't huge, I only see part of it! That looks like it might be a dropped letter, that happened to be in the right place, at the wrong tiome, and got "mashed". It is too small for the "current sized MM in use at that time".
      Dick[/
      SIZE]

Comment

Hi Dick - Actually the letter, if it is that, is to small for anything on a Lincoln cent. I tend to believe that it may be a lamination error or some sort of weird die break.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Since the defect is raised, it would not be a lamination error. It's too low and flat for a die chip, so I would assume it is a die dent of some kind. Another, less likely, possibility is a patch of die erosion, which sometimes forms in very late die states. However, the die doesn't seem particularly worn here.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
          X