Thread: 1982 Lincoln cent struck on a split planchet???

Default 1982 Lincoln cent struck on a split planchet???

Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

2. Default

Just a thought BJ,
    The first photo of the obverse shows damage to the rim near IN GOD WE as if it had been clamped in between something as well as the area below the split near the date.
    My thoughts are that the metal has been bent back and forth causing the split to move across the coin and making stress marks to the metal that appear to be tool marks as well as flattening some portions of the metal moreso near the beginning of the split.

Then again I am just guessing here. Maybe a test of that theory????????

Steven

It's a genuine planchet error, something I occasionally refer to as a "ragged fissure". During rolling, the coin metal strip splits from tensile forces. The two facing beveled edges are typical of such fissures. The microscopic surface texture of the beveled edges is usually grainy in such errors. It results from the pulling-apart and fracturing of the metal crystallites. I don't think it likely that you're seeing tool marks; perhaps these are lines of stress.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

I agree with Mike, Not that he needs my agreement:-) but when you look at the reverse of the coin, you can see a weakness at the rim where the separation is that indicates that the coin was struck after the fissure occured.

I thank you all for your valued comments. The owner of the coin had some doublts, as I did, concerning its authenticity. I'll give him the happy news.

BJ Neff

This is very cool. I had never seen one that severe before. Very nice!

=BOB=

7. Default 1982 struck on split planchet

WOWSER'S this is a great coin, my mouth is watering from looking at that coin, I have not been that lucky to have found a coin like that. Did you get that from a BU roll?. Or from a circulated roll?. Keep up the great hunting.

Patrick

Hi Patrick - The owner found it in a mint bag of 1982.

BJ