Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964D Lincoln cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964D Lincoln cent

Hello everyone,I'm new here and anxious to get started so let's start with this wild wavy step,doubled die 1964D Lincoln cent,is this a wavy step variation of some sort? And notice doubling on obverse around the date and liberty and on the reverse on cent especially the N ,is it an authentic error I can't see how somebody could create such an image any and all input would be appreciated thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tooboocoo; 11-30-2017, 04:51 PM. Reason: Add content and correct text

its what is called an Acid coin. something was placed on the coin or the coin was dipped in something acidic and the copper reacted to it. I have several including a 1946S that looks just like this. Could be something as mild as ketchup that would do this over time.
    Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

If you have coins that look just like this why didn't you post it to show me a comparison as far as an acid etching or whatever your trying to tell me is bizarre I've put coins in ketchup even taco sauce and I hate to disagree with you but that's exactly what I have to do sorry there has to be some sort of other explanation that is more logical your telling me that some sort of acidic substance started to melt the copper and start copying the design and rearranged everything to give it this appearance how did the acid get the Lincoln memorial to look like a deck of cards had been faned outv ,one on top of the other or make the E and N on the reverse start copying itself somehow separating it cutting it in pieces that whole theory is weird but thank you for the suggestion and I hope to get more responses but I'm sorry I'm no expert,you might be,it would have been pretty simple to post a couple photos of your coins so I could see a comparison I'm almost betting they look nothing alike but show me please and make me a believer thanksvg sincerely ed

Comment

What type of acid are you suggesting and what signs do I look for that tells me that my coin is soft enough to start trying to manipulate the images to try and recreate this phenomena and how should I go about altering the field images,and you mention having some coin that look just like this one ,you think you could post a couple so I can have a reference comparison and I'll post the results as soon as I'm done with this little experiment to let everyone know the results ,what type acid do you suggest thank you again and I'll be posting soon

Comment

James hit it on the head, as usual. This is one heck of an acid coin.

It was done after it left the mint, meaning it is post mint damage. Look at the reverse of the coin. See that uneven area at the rim? That is where some of the product, whatever was used, ate away enough of the rim for the product to find a way off the coin. In any event, whatever it is, or how it was done, was done after it left the mint.

If you experiment with coins, I suggest finding a coin of the same era, like close to 1964 to try this on. My point being, if you try this on a zinc cent, it may produce different results. This coin could have simply been placed in a small container of ketchup and put on something that was oscillating, like a washing machine or whatever. I am not sure how long this will take but some chemicals will act faster than others.
          Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
          X