Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 d Oklahoma TDO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 d Oklahoma TDO

This quarter looks like it has tripling on the G in In God We Trust. (Or I at least think so.) Any thoughts?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

catch and release?
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

In my opinion, that photo is quite blurry. If I cannot clearly see what is going on, then I tend to pass on these.

Typically, a doubled die needs more than one device being doubled so it can be assessed as a doubled die. This coin is circulated and it could be die chips, damage or something else. I simply cannot confirm anything with the photo above.

It helps much if the poster does some research. Is there any coin variety or website that has a very similar documented example? If the website does not even have a single candidate documented for that year and mint mark, then the odds are very slim that what a person is calling a doubled die or variety is more than likely something else.

I will see if I have a reference to taking photos with a cell phone to help stabilize the photos. Even the slightest wiggle will make the photos difficult to determine what is going on. Here is a snippet of something from my website:

Photography of your die variety coins
      • Equipment is everything. You need to stay within a budget, but get equipment that will be beneficial.
      • Good, subdued lighting is vital. Too much glare is never good, and too dark leaves people with a dark image that is not helpful. Be creative, something WILL work ! WARNING ! if you cover a light ensure you uncover it immediately after to avoid any sort of fire issue.
        • If using a microscope, fed into a display monitor, I suggest your display monitors should be at about 50% contrast and 50% brightness (or whatever is “default”) , then you will serve photos that are average looking for most people – no matter what their settings are.
      • Focused photos are vital. Anyone that is going to help will attempt to magnify the photo to see the issue you are seeing and it is absolutely crucial for them to have as clear and focused photo that you can provide.
        • Do not attempt to take a photo with the phone in your hand. Any slight movement of the phone will cause focusing issues.
        • Find a nice sturdy box, about 6 to 8 inches square. Place this on your table or other working environment.
        • Get place a bottle cap or other round object ( preferably smaller than the coin) on the table near the box.
        • Place the coin on top of the bottlecap.
        • If using a cell phone, turn on your camera app.
        • Place the phone on the box, so that the camera can see the coin below. WARNING ! Do NOT hang the phone too far over to cause it to become unstable. Avoid this if it appears the system will cause the phone to fall which may damage the coin and or phone. Use at your own risk .
      • Focus on the COIN and NOT the slab or the flip. If you have a MANUAL focus, this would be best. Out of any flip or cardboard mylar is best. Raw coin photos work best but if it is already slabbed, you need to try your best to get an in focused photo without any glare from lighting.
      • LIGHTLY tap the photo app to take a photo or, get yourself a Bluetooth enabled key-style fob to eliminate the possibility of the camera moving.
      • Stabilize the phone with one hand and with the other lightly press the shutter button to take the photo.
      • CROP your photos. Having more background than coin causes the coin to be smaller and photo size to be bigger.Most phones offer a cropping application within the photo editor. Save the photo as a JPG file. It offers photos that are smaller in size (KB or MB wise).

Happy Hunting.
      Last edited by MintErrors; 10-02-2024, 09:43 AM.
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
      X