Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1940 Matte Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Matte Cent

Hello all, pick this up at and it looks to be a matte finish 1940 Lincoln penny. I looked online for further knowledge but it does not show anything about 1940 Matte cents. The only cents I found where early cents and the recent coins that where found. Could this be an example of one. I compared the online photos and it has all the characteristics of being a Matte Proof. Thank you for the help.
    Edward M.
    Attached Files

Kinda hard to see the detail for proofing but it does appear you do have a moderate die clash noticeable on the reverse. Good Luck

Comment

I see the die clash on the reverse. Proofing is hard to see as well. i have a 1940 slabbed MS 67 and yours does seem to have some more detail in the hair so I'm not sure. Good luck though!

Comment

The rims do not have the characteristics of a proof so I am inclined to think it is a business strike.
        Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
        Lead attributer

Comment

Matte proof surfaces

Matte proofs have no luster, the process removes it. Matte's refract light, Unc's reflect light. The one in the picture, the rims are not even close, sorry. The rims on proofs are 'square' and edge (3rd side) are brilliant. Central detail (bow-tie, beard) have sharp details. Buy a common one: 1912 to use for side-by-side comparison.

Comment

Working...
          X