Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington 25c 1969D Type B reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington 25c 1969D Type B reverse

Hello everyone,
    New to this forum tonight as I hunt down information on a clad 1969D Type B Washington. I just found one in circulation today. Breen catalogs it as #4427 and says it is about 1% of the population.
    I found a few references to it on the WWW tonight, but not much. Only that a few are known: One person noted that he has only found about 6 of them in 20 years of searching.
    Is anyone out there familiar with this coin, or the other clad Type B series in 1970, 1971, etc?
    Thanks
    Last edited by MSL615; 04-11-2008, 03:34 AM. Reason: mispelling

Congratulations! The clad type B (proof style) reverse quarters from 69D-72D are indeed rare. The 1969D has been the most reported. I am still looking for a 72D myself.
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

1969 D Type B (Proof reverse) Quarter

James,
      Thanks for answering about this quarter and I appreciate your time. Do you know of any references where I could read about this series of Type B quarters? So far, Breen is the only one I have found. I collect the silver quarter Type B, and have found a lot about them, but not the clads.
      Thanks again

Comment

i would sure love to see a picture of the quarter.

Comment

cnladue
          I have been busy with taxes this week (like everyone else) and not had time to get pictures of this quarter up and on the site. I will post them however in the next few days.

Comment

Is there such a thing as a 68S Type C reverse quarter? I don't see anything listed in Breen's.

Thank You,
            Larry Nienaber

Comment

There were a couple of Coin World articles back in 1987 by Herbert Hicks. I did an ANA Numismatic theatre on the subject several years ago, which was video taped. Most recently there have been several threads on the PCGS message board. I have them on my list to place on www.varietyvista.com hopefully in the near future. To identify them, all you need is a proof quarter from 1950-1964. The easiest identifier is to notice how the leaves in front of the arrows rise above them. This only occurs on the RDV-002 (Type B) reverse design.
              There are actually 4 designs in use for the 1968-S Proof. Three are modified Type Cs (RDV-005, RDV-006, RDV-007). The other is a slightly modified Type B (RDV-008).
              CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Photos of 1969 D Type B Proof reverse quarter

Attached are several images of the 1969 Type B proof reverse Washington. I have also added some "normal" reverse images for comparison. The main difference, visible easily by naked eye, is that the entire reverse is incredibly bold, high resolution and very fine detail on the Type B. Just like you would expect on a proof die. The normal version is "mushier". In the microphotos you can see that the details and placement of the leaves below the eagle are different as is the spacing and resolution of the lettering.

Image 1:
                Extreme closeup of Type B lettering

Image 2
                Extreme closeup of normal lettering

Image 3
                Extreme closeup of Type B leaves

Image 4
                Extreme closeup of normal leaves

Image 5
                Wide image of Type B reverse
                Attached Files

Comment

thank you for the great informative post.great pics too!

Comment

Everyone,

For Novicetoerr, this is where the post began and the links to the various sources of information can be found earlier in this thread.

For Coin Detective, as I wrote yesterday, I do not know the process by which quality control on the dies would see the same issue come up over multiple years. I agree with Found in Rolls that it certainly happens, as he noted with the wide AM cent varieties. Everything I have found so far deals with population reports, but not much discussion if the mint ever addressed the issue. Maybe that is all there is to say: There were both proof dies and circulation dies available and sometimes they got mixed up. I absolutely agree with Found in Rolls (Bill) that this is not an intentional pattern, but rather mistakes in mint handling of the dies.

For Found In Rolls (Bill), given your long history of searching through many rolls of coins, do you have a feeling for the population of the 1969-1972 versions? Feigenbaum published some views on that in 1994 and I wondered if you had more recent data from your work. The 1956-1964 versions are easily found but not the others.

Thanks,
                    MSL615

Comment

Excellent links on Type B quarters

Everyone
                      If you go to the PCGS message board Web site and search for "Type B" you will find enough threads on Type B quarters for hours of reading. I just did that this evening and was amazed at the amount of information on those threads. It took me a few weeks to find this, but if you have any interest in Type B quarters, those pages are full of excellent discussions.

MSL615

Comment

Working...
                      X