Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

an example of little knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an example of little knowledge

man people are getting worked, this looks to me like an easy conclusion of machine doubling ending up being one expensive penny
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012
    Jimmy Ehrhart
    previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

I don't know that I'm 100% certain that is MD based on the photos provided. Depending on the letters involved, the spread, and the direction - doubled dies don't always show the tell-tale notches that make identification easier. If I found that, I'd slap it under a microscope for a closer look.

As far as bidding on it, I would not speculate to the tune of $50 on that coin - especially since there are no full coin photos provided. The buyer may find that full coin shots were not incuded for a reason.

Comment

It certainly looks like machine doubling to me.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I am in agreement that it is machine doubling. Very common for this date and the reverse die.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X