Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1865 3CN FF# MPD 003 & RPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1865 3CN FF# MPD 003 & RPD

Finally, two copies of Fletcher & Flynn's: The Authoritative Reference on Three Cent Nickels popped up on Amazon a couple weeks ago. I have been waiting for quite some time to get my hands on this reference; mostly impart to lack of photos of die varieties on the world wide web. I had a few varieties I could not identify because of the lack of photos. NGC has some listed and with missing photos, while PCGS has even less as they only recognize major varieties, even-so they too are missing some photos of varieties they recognize.

There are many varieties for 1865 to be on the lookout for. Out of the MPDs, having 5 misplaced covers most types of variety however, this one the entire date is misplaced and can be seen lying within the denticles. Each digit below itself. It is listed as FF-MPD-003 (Fletcher & Flynn respectively).

The 8, 6, & 5 also show evidence of being repunched (underlying initial punch north of final). This is not noted by Fletcher and Flynn even though you can clearly see the same repunching in the photo in their guide as compared to my photos.

I will continue to post 3CN varieties if you have a continued interest.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

gratz on your acquisition on a reference. seems to be a rare thing for people to understand these days. kudos.

ya, i know it gets expensive. i've bought dozens of em over the years.

those guys are pretty thorough; you sure you got the same one? (matching these types of things up, esp when there are multiple, is surely no walk in the park)

imo, those marks in the dentils may very well not be digits. perhaps it is just the images? (no need to post more,those are pretty good)

Comment

Originally posted by N2381 View Post
      I will continue to post 3CN varieties if you have a continued interest.
      Nice. I am starting a 3 cent nickel set
      have a 1865 180 degree rotated with a clash that is also rotated. a 1869 and a 1881 lamination... keep positing more RPD/MPD/varieties you have.

CONECA Attributer: John Miller

Comment

Working...
      X