Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1776-1976 possible of DDO/DDR quarter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1776-1976 possible of DDO/DDR quarter?

My first look was on IGWT and I think those are just shadows but I see the splits or extra separations. It's the same thing on the date. The United States of America are also show extra separation and splits. And also is the flame. However, I could not find any matches on Vistavariety.com. Please advise. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

In my opinion, this is machine doubling or die deterioration. The S in States show some shearing, fine file style marks that usually means material has been removed, resulting in damage. Both side of what we get to see of this coin are made from dies that are very old and well used. The sharpness of the letters are no longer there and without that tightness, things slip . Mechanical doubling, appears and it's confusing for some.

John Welxer has a good webpage article on doubled dies vs machine doubling. I believe the importa t thing to take away from that is the Doubled dies are more that one impression is stamped on on top of another, slightly off center. They are created using the same pressure. So each impression will be close to the same height. Once some one sees a true prior to 1996 doubled die, the light burns more brightly and bells and gongs go off.

http://doubleddie.com/144822.html

Last edited by MintErrors; 08-14-2022, 01:08 AM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

Hi Gary,
      Thank you again for the advice. I'll be learning more it goes along via John Welxer website and a number of reading referred. I truly appreciate that.

Comment

Working...
      X