Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1879 Mexico 25 Centavos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1879 Mexico 25 Centavos

The back of this coin is unremarkable but the front has a lot going on. There is an unusually large margin at the rim around 11:00. The big blob in the center is the high point of the coin and it touches the table when resting on it. Do you think a large part of the die broke off creating this unusual blob?
    Attached Files

looks dinged/pinched, thus pmd.

does the edge look the same in that spot as the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Ozimek View Post
      The back of this coin is unremarkable but the front has a lot going on. There is an unusually large margin at the rim around 11:00. The big blob in the center is the high point of the coin and it touches the table when resting on it. Do you think a large part of the die broke off creating this unusual blob?
      Hello, when I first saw this it reminded me of an article I read that talked about why people back in the old days drilled holes in coins. In that article it went on to talk about many ways coins are used. I am sure you probably already know all of this, but your post did make me think of this and a possibility to explain the mount. Just thought I’d share…maybe it was used as a button, is a button, or had away to fix it to something so it would not be lost…and then again maybe not.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The reeding on the edge is complete and unaffected by the abnormality near the rim. Would this be considered struck out of the collar at this edge? (Assuming they used collars in the 1800's). Or would an out of collar strike cause problems on both sides of the coin? Thanks!
        Thanks also for the comments on drilled/holed/jewelry coins.

Comment

not struck out of collar or tilted/partial.

out of collar is broadstruck.

Comment

I measured the coin diameter at the point with the widest part of the rim and the narrowest point and uploaded the photos. It does not seem drastically different for a circulated coin of this vintage. Is the possible reason for the unusually wide margin on only 1 side of the coin that the hammer die was not centered to the anvil die when it was struck?
            Attached Files

Comment

when a coin or collar is tilted, you will see other effects, especially with the reeding.

a coin can take on oblong properties when not struck properly for a variety of reasons but you coin does not resemble any that i've seen out of the thousands i've seen of different denominations. fwiw

Comment

I'll put this in the "Guess we will never know" category. Over the winter I have been reading the Error-ref.com website page by page. I'm 75% complete. There is much to learn from Mr. Diamond & his friends on the many things that can go wrong during the coin manufacturing process.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Ozimek View Post
                  I'll put this in the "Guess we will never know" category. Over the winter I have been reading the Error-ref.com website page by page. I'm 75% complete. There is much to learn from Mr. Diamond & his friends on the many things that can go wrong during the coin manufacturing process.
                  With that knowledge, Being able to envision what happens after the mint and separating them is the challenge. GL
                  Last edited by Ronald; 03-28-2023, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X