Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1942/1 Lincoln Wheat Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942/1 Lincoln Wheat Cent

Here is my submission for an unclaimed error. I sent in my Denver coin and here is a Philly. Exhibits likeness to the dime of the same year. I am only able to upload one photo st a time. This is a much nicer BU. Coin. I believe this is a DDO. As well. Thank you for your time.
    Napa
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

In my opinion, this is probably unlikely to occur, and this is why. If one understands how these dies are made, it makes it easier to understand.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/product...ess/die-making

My point through that link is, it's very very uncommon for overdates, especially in the modern day coinage of the United States. It has occurred on the 1943/2 war nickel, and there was a hummmm about the 1943/2 cent that was supposedly wrongly attributed. These were documented decades ago.....

This means that a single working die, that was created in 1941 would have had to be mixed in with new blank working dies in order to have a chance at getting the 1942 over a 1941. Then it would have had to be lined up perfectly again without anyone noticing it was already hubbed.

With all the people involved and potential inspections done, no one would catch the glaring issue of a 1942/1 cent. This would include the past 80+ years, and potentially the 1 million or so coins that the working die may have struck during its service life.

If this theory was true, I would imagine there were better, high grade specimens and attributors and/or collectors that would have found and documented this a long time ago.

If the 1 in the date is between the 4 and the 2, that means the spacing of the numbers is terribly off. You can try an overlay to see how far off the rest of the numbers would be. Create that overlay, and super-impose a complete 1941 date over this coin, aligning it where you think you see the 1. The date would look super messed up. In modern day coinage, the US Mint does not punch a single number into a master hub, nor into a single working die.

I just cannot see this as a possibility, especially from two different Mints.
    Last edited by MintErrors; 03-10-2024, 01:54 AM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
    X