Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPL general educational ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPL general educational ?

Just have a question for someone who might know about Matte proof Lincoln cents. In researching MPL's, I have read
    that they have the characteristics of a wire rim, squared rims and knife like edges and I have also read that there are die markers to search for in regards to authenticity of these coins. This is where my question lays- is it possible to have a MPL authenticated without the die markers but still have squared knife like edges with a wire rim? or does it require all of the above?

Hummm was there another post about matte proofs? Like 1909 or some other early Lincoln ?

If not, here is a link to the matte proof article.

https://www.lincolncentcollection.co...cteristics.php

I am not sure if all the markers need to be there. Reason I say that is, it depends on how many working die pairs they used. I am not sure of the year you are currently talking about, so let's assume 1909. That year, I think they made close to 1200 matte proof Lincoln cents. It could have easily been only one working die pair that did these matte proofs, even if the struck each proof twice to enhance the coin. A typical business strike Lincoln ce t working die can last up to 1 million or more strikes.

So with all that on the table, looking for markers can be tricky. It truly depends on what die stage you have. Is it. Early, mid or late die stage? Italso matters when the markers were identified. Remembering that there were a low amount of matte proofs done, it boils down to whether the coin was in an early die stage, and the associated markers came later....

I will go back and read that article over. Probably tomorrow or the next day. I have been working on repairing a wooden deck and it's a money pit and a lot of work. I am gonna take some me time, relax and go ta bed early. More work to be done tomorrow. I retired to work less and it seems I am busier than ever.
    Last edited by MintErrors; 04-17-2024, 10:01 PM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

no issues. I am in the process of laying new decking down on our deck, so I know what you are going through.

What is/are the other year(s)?

The CONECA services might be able to help you out. You can add a post under attributions and see if they can determine if the coins you have are what you claim. IF they want to see them in person, they will let you know. They may require only ONE coin per post.

I HIGHLY suggest adding as much info as you can, describe what you see on each coin and add good clear photos of the coin. Its best to give too much info on the first post. It may take quite some time for them to circle around and provide more responses, so it is best to get it all done in one post.

IF you need any tips on photo taking with a phone.....

Find a box, about 6x6 or 8x8.
      Place the box on the table.
      Place the coin on the table, close to the base of the box.
      Place the phone on top of the box and turn on the camera app.
      Carefully slide the phone toward the edge so the camera can see the coin.
      Adjust the coin closer if need be.
      You can zoom in, but do not make the photo blurry at all.
      Make sure there is no glare on the coin, use a lamp vice flash from the phone.
      With the phone on the top of the box, you can stabilize the phone with one hand.
      Gently tap the shutter to take a photo.

Photos are best saved as JPG.
      The photos on this website have to be less than 2mb each.
      You should be able to upload 8 photos per post.
      If more photos are needed, you can reply to your post and add more photos.

In the text area where you add a post, just to the top left , is a camera icon.
      That will toggle on/off the upload buttons.
      To upload photos, click on the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS.

After you uploaded the photos, the list appears below the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS button.
      Click the area on your post where you'd like a photo to show, like below some text.
      Then just below the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS button choose a photo to place where you clicked.
      Choose either LARGE or MEDIUM and the photo should appear in your post.
      If you don't add it to the post, they should appear at the bottom of your post as attachments.

If you have a photo editing app on the phone, if need be, crop most of the background out of the photo.
      You should be able to draw a box around the coin.
      From there use the cropping tool to remove any unnecessary background.
      The cropping tool can look like a bent square.
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
      X