Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023P Bessie Coleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023P Bessie Coleman

Good morning all, take a look at this 2023P Bessie Coleman quarter. I’m interested in the proper terminology of the features you see in the photo. Is this a cracked die or a cud? Is this an error or variety? This is for information only.

I just found this on the NGC website,

Die Errors
    • Defective Die – Coin has raised metal from a large die crack or small rim break. The unstruck area is commonly known as a cud.

NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. The determination of what constitutes a mint error is at the discretion of NGC.

So, tell me if I’m correct, I have a Die error coin, caused by a defective die resulting in a cud. This is a minor error not recognized by NGC. This is not a recognized variety.

Thanks to the NGC website for all the information above!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John J; 09-07-2024, 08:16 AM.

cud MUST be connected to the edge. - retained cud MUST have cracks/breaks (depending on the definition of each) that connect from rim to rim.

die chip, internal die breaks etc can be anywhere within the field, legend, devices etc on the obv/rev.

these things are errors (sometimes) not varieties (not that anyone asked)

what you have is VERY minor and i'm glad to see NGC at least says in their language they won't/don't label minor things as errors. the odds of the cost exceeding the value is like 99.9%.

the die technically is NOT defective. chips/breaks etc happen as a result of the die doing what it is supposed to be doing.

THAT being said, a die that starts to chip/break right away would be defective i presume BUT that would take a die study and those are not easy or quick usually.
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Thanks occnumis2021, I reworded my statement. I appreciate you taking the time to help me learn and understand coin terminology.

Am I correct now?

So, tell me if I’m correct now ,I have a die error coin, caused by a minor die break resulting in a die chip. This is a minor error not recognized by NGC. This is not a recognized variety.
      Last edited by John J; 09-07-2024, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J View Post
        Thanks occnumis2021, I reworded my statement. I appreciate you taking the time to help me learn and understand coin terminology.

Am I correct now?

So, tell me if I’m correct now ,I have a die error coin, caused by a minor die break resulting in a die chip. This is a minor error not recognized by NGC. This is not a recognized variety.
        ya a person could say all that or just say, i have a coin with die chip(s).

anyone that knows what they are doing will know instantly what you mean.

for my part, i will NOT say what ngc/pcgs etc will call an error and where they draw the lines because i don't work with them but i have never seen any holders with coins with die chips in error holders in my entire career but i'm sure there are some out there.

i've literally seen people get parking lot coins slabbed and other questionable stuff so i know the TPGs do put some unusual numismatic items in at least detailed holders.

happy hunting.
        coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Working...
        X