Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 D Lincoln Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 D Lincoln Cent

I have recently inherited a nice coin collection, Both of my parents spent many years collecting varity/error coins. I have, as a result become very interested in the same. I have invested in many of the top recommended books, microscope, scale, etc. My parents had searched mint bags for many years and would place their finds in small bags, envelopes, etc. One of which is a small bag of 1978 D Lincoln cents of which I cannot see anything special. Is there anything special on these coins that I should look for.

There is not a whole lot to look for on a 1978 D 1c. They could have been set asside for any number of reasons (or no particluar reason). Some possibilities:

Check the "D" for a possilbe RPM
    Look for die clash marks
    You could check for a rotated die
    Perhaps there is a nice die crack somewhere
    Maybe they are just nice examples set aside for their high grade

There is always the possibility of a new doubled die discovery as well. They are few and far between in the late 70's, but a few do exist.

Let us know if you figure something out.

And BTW - Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by russellhome; 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I think Russellhome covered all the bases with his answer and I can not think of any thing else for that particular year from either mint.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Environmental damage has just about made it impossible to attribute this coin and from the photos, I do not see anything that would indicate a variety or error.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X