Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings and Introduction to fallguy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Introduction to fallguy

As there didn't appear to be anywhere else to post this (and the amount of space in the users Bio box very limited), if no one minds I will use this spot to introduce myself and hopefully give you an idea of why I'm here. So thank you all in advance . . . and greetings to all, as well as my apologies if my rhetoric appears too pointed at times:

I’m a novice in this area so I hope other members will be patient with me. I dabbled a bit in this area when, walking down the gravel road in front of our farm to go fishing, I found a large half cent from the 1700’s, and later was probably over half way through with a dime collection; mostly Mercurys as this was in the 50’s, before moving on to other pursuits. Always wondered what happened to them (probably cashed them in for a couple of packs of cigarettes) A spinster Aunt gave me a large canvas coin bag weighing maybe 25lbs over 15 years ago. Did start to look at them when I got back from Iraq, but after being distracted by something else, I put them in a safety deposit box where they’ve been ever since (but won’t be for long after I get back to my home).

Though a novice, I’ve always said that by education, experience and the Grace of God, I’m a natural born “analyst”. Though my recognized area of expertise is in the analysis of the organization, administration and financing of public health systems, I have analyzed everything from: how you get a combat unit from point A to point B without walking them into an ambush (a task that I did very well at I might add, especially since I was a Battalion Scout in the Corps and I was well in front of those combat units!); to the concept that an aging population will reduce the future need for prison construction (posited in the latter half of the 80’s, poo-pooed by some in the legislature and, later proved correct as can be seen by the number of facilities moth-balled to date, at least in my State) as well as; within hours of her death, predicting who would sing what song at Princess Diana’s funeral (Sir Elton doing a version of his “Candle In The Wind”) and finally; what the structure of the civil service pay system should look like in post war Iraq. While certainly tooting my own horn, the real point of this exposition is to note that the mind-set of an “Analyst” is quite in-sync with that needed to rationally engage in this area of endeavor.

I should note why it is that my eyes have once again turned this direction. About two months ago I temporarily left my home and wife in Michigan to care for my rapidly failing mother at her home in Indiana. My mom just turned 96 (Nov 10, the Marine Corps Birthday nonetheless!) and as the only surviving off-spring it was me or nobody. In addition, I had always promised her that I would do everything in my power to see that she could spend her final days in her own home instead of a hospital or nursing home, and so it’s been. At any rate, because mom sleeps for most of the day I had to find something to keep my mind occupied. As it is, there was a suitcase in the basement that was left by my grandmother when she lived here, before passing away over 40 years ago, which contained 7 glass jars (my mom later added an eighth) of various sizes . . . filled with coins; many of the larger denominations individually wrapped in tissue. I have of course known about its existence for a long time (every couple of years my mom would have me “hide” it in a new location), but never really bothered exploring them as I figured that it would give me something to do in my “old age”. Well I decided that now was as good as any to say that time had arrived, and so I have been slowing going through the jars, coin by coin cataloguing each in turn: a couple of Silver Dollars; then Liberty, Franklin and Kennedy Halfs; Washington Quarters (some to the 30’s) and; Dimes, Nickels and Penneys! And given that many were from the last years of GMA's life; hand wrapped and undisturbed for all these years, a lot of them are pristine, or as they say in the vernacular AU and MS+.

To me a coin is not a coin, but a piece of history, and while like anyone I wouldn’t scoff at finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, nor holding the winning Mega Lottery ticket, in this case I’m much more interested in the “What” and “How” of things, which is the reason I have ended up at this site (and joined CONECA too) and have bookmarked and explored many additional ones. In closing, one of the purposes of this expansive missive is so that the reader will know that when I post a query, it is not being done as a crap shot, but rather to glean your collective insights. As a newbee, I probably won’t have much to add, at least initially to the discussion, but will insert a comment where and when it seems appropriate (hopefully). I should note however, that one of my pet peeves is the apparent current schism between the purist (read Die Doubled and Die States) and the more avant-garde, Machine Doubling. My problem is not with the merits of the former, as the ability to linearly follow the progression of an artifact is paramount to the full understanding of a notable occurrence. Rather I find that the discounting of the latter, in terms of its “meaning” and “value”, seems to strike at the very essence of “collectables”. An item does not have to be sought with financial considerations as a key variable . . . it is the uniqueness of the object to the individual which gives it “value”. I have spent countless hours poring over the literature and images trying to understand the difference; not in process, but in meaning. To some extent, an error IS an error, and while its process is intriguing and unarguably important . . . is it also not possible that it’s real “value” lies in what it produces? That is, I have seen many listed Doubled Dies that are frankly, boring as Hell, and while I have certainly seen many more Machine Doublings that can easily be categorized in the same fashion, I have also seen some of the latter that I would consider to be spectacular, but (and that is a BIG BUT) I have only been at this a very short time. It could very well be that additional study will show that particular piece of error output to be quite common place, and thus, while still interesting, carry less of a meaning/value to me or others. That’s where you all come in, with your extensive experience you may be able to help reduce the amount of “study” time needed. My only hope is that responses in this area will address the specific, and a generic broad-brush will not be used to discount the inquiry; after all, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

John S. Walker, MPH
    USMC – Ret.
    RVN 66/67 OIF 03/04
    AKA: fallguy

PS: Almost forgot to mention that using 15 duplicates of the Franklin halfs I had, I was able to work with a local coin dealer to acquire the 18 missing coins I needed. With these, I’m also proud to announce that I now have my first complete set of history, finally!!!

Hello John,
    Welcome to the CONECA Forum and I do hope that you can find some of the answers that you are searching for in this site or other sites that are recommended.

I would recommend going to Coppercoins.com for information on Lincoln cents.

Error-ref.com for information on errors / varieties and other valuable information.

Lincoln Cent Resources for another very active forum.

I would suggest joining CONECA for its benefits and award winning magazine ERRORSCOPE..

Of course, you can always contact me with specific questions.

Regards,
    BJ Neff, Retired USN (Submarine Force)
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

OORAH BJ, PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD, SIR!

"Silent Service", huh. Reminds me of a story. When I got to Iraq in 03, Admiral David Oliver (USN-Ret.) was the head Finance guy at the CPA. He was a Fast Attack Skipper at one point, but went all the way back to pig boats. Anyway, we got to swapping sea-tales and soon found out that our paths may have crossed nearly 40 years earlier. When my Battalion (3rd Battalion 26th Marines) mounted out it was on a convoy: 2 Tin Cans and 3 Troop Transports (I was on a 1943 Liberty, can you believe that!) At any rate, some where between Okinawa and Vietnam, GQ was sounded; apparently somebody wanted to play war games and we were told we were being stalked by a Sub. Dave thought that he could very well have been on that Boat!!! Small world. Well enough of the Salty Dog talk.

I am finding this whole genre of VAMs absolutely facinating and saw these forums as a good hands-on resource. Choose this one as it seemed to have good people with thoughtful responses. Some forums I looked at I wasn't sure if the members were really interested in providing insight into queries or more interested in pronouncements. At any rate, I'm glad to be aboard

Unforunately, I may be out of the loop for awhile, though it depends. My mom has taken a turn for the worse and I'm not sure she'll last the week; but she has surprised me in the past. So for the time being, I'll keep an eye on the forums, though I may have to delay posting some pics of a few coins I've got questions on BTW, I sent in my membership to CONECA a week ago and I assume that the members packet is at my home in Michigan. Thanks again and . . .

Semper Fidelis,

fallguy AKA John

Comment

John, just getting caught up in the reading here.. Welcome aboard. I too am from the mitten.
        Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Hello John, Welcome to the forums.. Im Mikee by the way !!
          Still the best "Nickel Trail Die Hunter". 2013 ((MIKEE)) T.Davis

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and gland to be aboard. Just got my first issue of ERRORSCOPE, so I'm off to the races. What part of the "PURE" State, BTW? Semper Fidelis, John

Comment

I'm glad to be here Mikee; now maybe I'll finally be able to recognize a Doubled Die from a Strike Doubled when I finally see one. Have no problem when I look at the comparative pictures, but when i look at my own coins, well I just see what I see, I guess. Maybe if I ever actually find one, I finally get it. None the less, I've got a really cool Kennedy 94-P with a doubled ear . . . Machined Doubled or not, it's still pretty nifty!

Semper Fidelis, John

Comment

I am down in Oakland County.

Everytime I see your name I start humming that dang song and dreaming about Farrah.. : )
                Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Working...
                X