Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting to get more involved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to get more involved.

I came back to the hobby Aug 2021 and renewed my CONECA membership for another 3 years (originally joined in 1997). But instead of just being a member now, I was thinking I would really like to help the organization in some way. I don't believe I have the skill to do anything important, but I figure I could sweep a floor, lick a stamp, hold a sign, whatever. I'm just putting it out there that I'm a willing helper if I could be useful in anyway. I really would like to help preserve and perpetuate the hobby for the next generation.
    Rock

What about wearing a track suit, spinning a sign while doing dance routines on the corner?...lol. Not sure what the sign could say but it would be hilarious to see.

Comment

I assure you, it would be much more pathetic than amusing.

Comment

Send a note to James Motley, CONECA President, his email address is in ErrrorScope. I know their looking for help on the CML. But I'm sure there are other area's they can use help.

Comment

Originally posted by JC Stevens View Post
          Send a note to James Motley, CONECA President, his email address is in ErrrorScope. I know their looking for help on the CML. But I'm sure there are other area's they can use help.
          Thank you. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasfam View Post
            I came back to the hobby Aug 2021 and renewed my CONECA membership for another 3 years (originally joined in 1997). But instead of just being a member now, I was thinking I would really like to help the organization in some way. I don't believe I have the skill to do anything important, but I figure I could sweep a floor, lick a stamp, hold a sign, whatever. I'm just putting it out there that I'm a willing helper if I could be useful in anyway. I really would like to help preserve and perpetuate the hobby for the next generation.
            Rock

I don't know which state you reside in, but James M. may be looking for people to become a CONECA State Representative. I am a dealer but I manage to talk to coin show promoters and some- not all are willing to give a free table for the CONECA organization. I will be blunt and to the point here:
            • I do not use the CONECA name to help sell my products or services.
            • I do not sell anything from the CONECA table, it is set up with educational material, flyers, membership applications.
            • Don't sell on auction houses or other websites trying to drive home that you are a rep for CONECA, it gives the people the wrong impression.
            • On the CONECA table, It has a display case of coins that I have that are of interest to most collectors and error/variety people. None are for sale.
            • On the CONECA table I bring my lighting, microscope a laptop and a 32 inch monitor to do a free attribution on coins.
              • It is best to place a limit on what people bring to you otherwise you WILL have a few people walking in with 25+ coins wondering what type of error are these?
            • Some of the promoters are willing to add in their ads that CONECA will be attending the show, so if they do you best be as well.
            • A person is representing the CONECA organization, being politically correct and choose your words and actions carefully.
            • Ensure if you hand out any applications that your name or a sticker is added that says " referred by XX state rep". That way CONECA knows what rep got the new member, and it goes toward the total for that state. It's nothing big, but it is nice to see some of the applications handed out are being used.

Gary Kozera

Comment

Thank you Gary for taking the time to explain some things. I'm in Tennessee, just outside of Nashville. I was thinking of contacting Jason Cuvelier since we knew each other some years ago from online forums (not sure he would remember me though). I'm a recent widower and still trying to navigate through the the new reality of being alone after 47 years of marriage. I've been throwing myself into the hobby and church work. Again, thank you for your help.
              Rock

Comment

Jason is typically busy a lot. The quicker answer would come from James M. He has a better view of what may be available. I do know they are always looking for good quality articles for the Errorscope. I do not know if they are lacking in any services. Honestly, James will be upfront about whatavailable lble.

I can understand the need to keep busy. I lost my wife a long time ago. I raised three kids and retired from the military. This hobby is rewarding, but I wanted to focus on varieties and errors and over the years I knew these would eventually become scarce. I have a very large collection of BU Lincoln Cent RPMs and varieties that I have collected over the past 40 or so years. I cannot wait to retire so I can manage this and use some of the revenue to travel and enjoy life.

I am sure there are a lot of coin clubs and dealers who might need a helping hand understanding what type of errors they may have. Eventually the word will need to be spread that CONECA will again be accepting errors and varieties. Once the attribution services go live, the hobby will need to know it exists. I will hand out details to many dealers and collectors.

Hopefully they offer something,, but a State Rep is a start. Good Luck.
                Gary Kozera

Comment

Thank you for your advice Gary. I will proceed accordingly.
                  Rock

Comment

Working...
                  X