Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

silver morgans are neat.........especially when they're not made of "silver"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver morgans are neat.........especially when they're not made of "silver"

DSC_8825 (Copy)-79p-morg-sil-wash-lead.JPG
    DSC_8825 (Copy)-79p-morg-sil-wash-lead.a.JPG
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Looks like a spark erosion type die. Many blemishes. This die could have been acid washed. If you own this, is it attracted to a magnet ?
    Gary Kozera

Comment

she's a lead fake like a bunch of others. barbers, walkers etc. don't see em often oddly enough but there are a bunch of em out there.

silver-washed lead fake morgans. the things people do for a shot of whisky or a loaf of bread...
      coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

I have links on the pc ( i am on a tablet right now ) which show photos of a counterfeiters area which has a heavy duty shelf with hundreds of dies that make fake coins. The one thing they cannot reproduce on Morgan's is the cart wheel luster on Brilliant Uncirculated examples. It's best to look out for
        Odd looking surfaces, especially with raised blemishes..
        Devices especially letters that are not real sharp. Stars too.
        Weight.
        Does it stick to a magnet.
        Ensure one looks at the mint mark and year. Fakes can Include the following

1878 O
        1887 CC
        1888 CC
        Any Morgan with a D mintmark other than 1921.

There are other years, mainly in the very late 1800s to early 1900s. Some have benn documented with pick up points (PUPs) to help the collector to steer away. Some of the slabs have been counterfeited from the third party grading services. Even GSAs have been faked. Education is key.

I even seen a slabbed 1889 CC Morgan on line slabbed in a PCGS holder that was a fake going for several hundred bucks. I reported that one to pcgs but I did not receive a reply back.

Normally a great price on an uncommon to rare Morgan should be the first warning sign. If slabbed check to see if the third party took photos of the exact coin and look closely at the coin. To compare. If it Is a fake there are some places that offer guarantees to get money back, but one may have to jump through hoops to do so.
        ​​​​​
        Gary Kozera

Comment

well said M.E.

Comment

anyone else with neat non-authentic coins to share?

Comment

Originally posted by MintErrors View Post
              I have links on the pc ( i am on a tablet right now ) which show photos of a counterfeiters area which has a heavy duty shelf with

I even seen a slabbed 1889 CC Morgan on line slabbed in a PCGS holder that was a fake going for several hundred bucks. I reported that one to pcgs but I did not receive a reply back.
              fwiw, i've literally seen thousands of fake pcgs holders with various denoms - OUCH

i've seen fake coins in authentic holders but only a big handful over many years.

is the one you saw a fake coin AND fake holder or the latter?

iirc, they revised the HPA (hobby protection act and other legislation) to accommodate the sheer volume of counterfeits (numismatic items) flooding into the country.

Comment

Working...
              X