Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957D LIPERTY lincoln cent, what would you call this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957D LIPERTY lincoln cent, what would you call this?

This cent looks like it says LIPERTY, with the bottom of the B messed up, and are those chips in the numbers or , what are they called die chips? Decent color on the toning of it, so far, ill let it sit awhile longer. i think, maybe ill put it into a pile to set aside for future ebay sales, who knows,lol! Thank you in advance for any and all help deciphering what is wrong with this coin. It is rather neat looking, for sure
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

In my opinion, I want to say this is post mint damage, but I cannot be certain. The hub that presses all the working dies is the same, so it's not an error with a P instead of a B.

The problem I have is I cannot zoom in and have clarity on LIBERTY. I cannot make out of that is a square like damage around the LIB, or a strike thru or simply some sort of sheering / damage.

Are the L and I in LIBERTY undamaged ?
    I cannot tell when zooming in.
    The i looks damaged, but it might be the photo is not playing nice.

Check the letters of IGWT and the last digit of the date. This could be coin roller damage, but I would need to have a slightly better photo to try to figure out what's going on with this coin.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

heres another one, this one says licerty! haha! these are neat when they do this, and spell funny words. Thanks again Gary, for hanging in there with me,and for all the awesome information so far. It issinking in, im just preoccupied with the restoration of my factory A/C 1968 Chevrolet Camaro. Trying to keep track of all the parts and things associated doing that, really has me tied down and my coins are keeping my sanity under medication levels,lol! Scott
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

This one might have been altered after it left the mint. Some one may have started designing something similar, like a hobo style nickel, and then tossed the coin. It looks like othe very bottom on the letter, near the flat field area links like a normal B. They probably used a scribe or some jewelers tools to mess with the coin. In my opinion, another post mint damaged coin.

yes, the date appears to have die chips in the date.
        Last edited by MintErrors; 09-14-2023, 05:16 AM.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

Yeah, I think youre right about the possibility of it being PMD, on the second coin,I had kinda thought the center bar broke off on the B, but then you mentioned the hobo nickels, and I had to take another look at it.. Thank you again for answering me

Comment

Working...
          X