Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a die crack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a die crack?

Hello,
    I've found this coin while searching Lincoln cents and I'd like to know if you think this is a die crack or not (the one on the head):
    2023-09-13_13-13-23_Shot.jpg
    What you think?

Cheers,
    Matteo

Originally posted by midium View Post
    Hello,
    I've found this coin while searching Lincoln cents and I'd like to know if you think this is a die crack or not (the one on the head):
    2023-09-13_13-13-23_Shot.jpg
    What you think?

Cheers,
    Matteo
    Greetings, for now on please include the Year and Mint of a coin so we can better research for anything noticeable.
    This is a Die Crack and though your photo does not have the best clarity, it looks that this may be a "Spiked Head" I enhanced the photo as best I can and pointed out what may be present that has me thinking this.
    image_41244.jpg
    With the coin in hand go here and look it up by year and mint and see if its listed. Not all SKS`s are listed do to the randomness and the many unnoticed.
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/spike-head/

Comment

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for not pushing the coin details, was not aware it was so important. Btw it is a 1956 Philadelphia wheat cent.

I've checked the website and there are some about 1956 but none looks like mine even if there are pretty similar examples.

Does it worth some extra value?

Matteo
      Last edited by midium; 09-13-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by midium View Post
        Thanks for the quick response and sorry for not pushing the coin details, was not aware it was so important. Btw it is a 1956 Philadelphia wheat cent.

I've checked the website and there are some about 1956 but none looks like mine even if there are pretty similar examples.

Does it worth some extra value?

Matteo

it's pretty common for Lincoln cents to develop die cracks over time. The Lincoln cent working dies can mint close to 1 million coins before being retired. That can be a lot of stress on the metal and eventually dies fail.

More than likely it will not add a premium, especially circulated. I have BU rolls of these from the 1950s and occasionally throw them in the bargain bin for the price of a cheap candy bar.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

Ok, thanks for sharing knowledge.

Comment

Check out this link, cracks in the skull are common on the 1956 LWC.
            Lincoln Cent Retained Interior Die Break; 1909 – 1958 : Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)

Comment

Working...
            X