Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974-D penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974-D penny

i dont know if this is the penny detail or what it is so im going to post it here
    Attached Files

In my opinion both areas appear to be machine (worthless) doubling. One thing to look for is some the design is taken away, and it is lower and shelf or step like.. it's best to research some of this, to see if any have been reported over the past decades.

Its a good way to learn this side of attribution, gaining confidence on what your seeing. If nothing has been reported for several decades or, you cannot find an exact match, it may not be what you think it is. The easiest site to navigate is http://varietyvista.com .

http://varietyvista.com/09d%20WQ%20V...%20listing.htm

Unfortunately, there is usually a lot more disappointments than bell ringing experiences, but it's a relaxing hobby. Throw in some logical thinking and a good reference site or book and it can be a way to find relaxation.

Happy hunting.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

You have a double die earlobe witch is probably rare for the 1974 D lincoln penny. As to value in AU-50 condition probably $30. I know a 1997 double die earlobe in MS-63 condition would probably bring $200.

Comment

really on the ear? i kept finding them so i thought it was part of his ear i bought a mint sewed bag and everyone is ms condition

Comment

Originally posted by Moccasin Creek Coins View Post
          You have a double die earlobe witch is probably rare for the 1974 D lincoln penny. As to value in AU-50 condition probably $30. I know a 1997 double die earlobe in MS-63 condition would probably bring $200.
          thank you for looking i appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by MintErrors View Post
            In my opinion both areas appear to be machine (worthless) doubling. One thing to look for is some the design is taken away, and it is lower and shelf or step like.. it's best to research some of this, to see if any have been reported over the past decades.

Its a good way to learn this side of attribution, gaining confidence on what your seeing. If nothing has been reported for several decades or, you cannot find an exact match, it may not be what you think it is. The easiest site to navigate is http://varietyvista.com .

http://varietyvista.com/09d%20WQ%20V...%20listing.htm

Unfortunately, there is usually a lot more disappointments than bell ringing experiences, but it's a relaxing hobby. Throw in some logical thinking and a good reference site or book and it can be a way to find relaxation.

Happy hunting.
            thank you for looking i appreciate it

Comment

From AU-50 to MS-63 would double the value.

Comment

In my opinion, one should not "assume" a doubled die from one year applies to other years if there have not been any examples discovered for the year the original poster has. Lincoln cent working dies typically strike up to 1 million coins per die, so there should have been more reported and documented by now.
                Gary Kozera

Comment

In my opinion, one should not "assume" a doubled die from one year applies to other years if there have not been any examples discovered for the year the original poster has. Lincoln cent working dies typically strike up to 1 million coins per die, so there should have been more reported and documented by now.
                  well out of the 5000 mint sewn bag i have found around 40 or so. im only about half way through the bag so far. so im sure there is more in the bag. also im wondering if you might know this. i found a paper in the bag it said 1-10 under in a bigger writing 443 im thinking it means bag 443 and the date of 1-10-74 i might be wrong but thats why im asking

this penny could possibly a new discovery. of course it would have to be authenticated and such. if someone would want to do it.. i also put a post up about a 2021 crossing quarter i wish someone would take a look at
                  Last edited by Midwest Dozer; 03-03-2024, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Hello,
                    I do believe this is the only time I have seen “ coin monetary values” discussed in a thread. Has the Coneca policy changed on this?
                    thanks

Comment

No. As far as I know. Monetary values and grades of uncertified coins has always been frowned upon here. The old adage of a collectable is only worth what the collector is willing to pay for it , is a good example.

In my opinion, values can change wildly between 2 people, between regions and between days. Grading performed by non-ANA certified person may not take into account necessary steps to ensure an accurate grade. Additionally, One has to know the difference between worthless doubling and a true variety or error. The reason coins are slabbed is to certify, authenticate and add integrity of the coin being presented.

I am not a CONECA staff member, but if you have a problem with any member, or have questions in general, contact Jamez .
                      Gary Kozera

Comment

i havent said anything about values.. i only asked about two coins.. i did send the coins in for grading and asked that it be looked at by pcgs.

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Dozer View Post
                          i havent said anything about values.. i only asked about two coins.. i did send the coins in for grading and asked that it be looked at by pcgs.

I did not say it was you who mentioned prices and grading. My response was to another poster, and one other that actually gave the grade and price info.
                          It was another poster. I personally cannot see one individuals posts anymore, so I have nothing to add. No Ronald, it was not you.

Gary Kozera

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Dozer View Post

There are people on this forum who try to help individuals identify coins before they send them off to a third party grading service. The third party grading service fees can easily reach 50 bucks per coin....it can go much higher.

Errors and varieties are getting scarce, especially on older coins. There is a uptick on people purchasing the mobile microscopes, and that is all fine, but the magnification can be extreme making it pretty easy to see just about any imperfection.

Typically the seasoned coin collectors use between 10 to 20x magnification. The attributors and examiners use close to the same level of magnification to assess whether the subject coin is an error or variety. On the side of varieties, if it takes more than 10x magnification to see the issue, it may be marked as minor.

People send coins in for peace of mind, their favorite series and many other reasons. There comes a point, if the intent is for resale, to weigh the difference between the coin value and the total cost to have the coin(s) encapsulated. It's an owners choice, and it's a risk people have to assume and take.

Good luck on the submission. Hopefully they come back a bell ringer.
                            Gary Kozera

Comment

i was going to send in some of the pennies anyway. im going for high grades not so much as for varieties. i'm going 20-30 times high power looking for scratches ect. if i se something that i know wasn't on say 20-30 coins before than im only wondering if it was found per say. i just got done doing a original roll of 1962-p roosevelt dimes they went in with the 1974-D pennies. yes i agree when you go 20-30 times high power you see alot that wasn't there. so i do go back to my 10-loop to see like my quarter post. i just didn't want to get in trouble for anything. i search for high grade coins of all denominations ill post some results when i get them back..

Comment

Working...
                              X