Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Dime D mint mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Dime D mint mark

Just got this dime back in change different than other dimes. Has a mate finish on the outside of it with a shiny middle.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

In my opinion, I think it would be helpful to know the following information:

The weight of the coin in grams, down to one hundredths of grame (x.xx)
    Does the reeded edge show two colors of metal, ie, nickel and copper ?

It appears to be lightly circulated. Coins that go into circulation can be exposed to all sorts of things. It's difficult to say what may have happened to it. If the middle of the coin is shinier than the rest, that may be because the design I'd higher in that area, and circulation may have assisted rubbing off what ever this coin was exposed to.

If it appears hazy, the possibility it may have been cleaned, dipped or simply dropped into something, whether by accident or intentional exist.

Additionally, coins do tone, and this may have done so. It is difficult to tell.

The photos are very good. Thanks for that. I am not picking on the effort, but you might want to consider cropping out the background. By removing the background, it will make the coin apear more important, and larger for the same size. Cropping allows you to draw a box around the coin, then there is a cropping tool which looks like a bent square. It will leave the coin in the photo, and remove the majority of the background.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

Thank you for your help, and feed back.
      The dime weight is 2.28 the reeded edger only shows one color copper. I have attached pictures with microscope and without.
      This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

The problem with matte finishes is that the working dies that struck this coin, don't strike just one coin. Dime working dies could strike somewhere in the neighborhood of 500,000 or so dimes before being retired from service. That means there could have been many of these found.

I have tried to view this coin as close as I can, but it simply gets unfocused. It make it difficult for me to assess a coin when this happens.

I have read other posters comments on other websites, and the seasoned vets have all said for the other coins, it's not a matte finish. No one addressed the weight, nor the potentia) amount of coins that could have been struck by this working die pair.

It could be an overheated planchet before it was struck. It believe it would give that type of look. Slightly splattered almost. What people do not realize is, the rim is applied way before the coin is struck, so the rim does not have the same finish as a matte coin. If it was a proof planchet, it would be a proof type rim since the planchets are polished.

With a matte finish, the sandblasting style effect would be on the die, a flat round circle, and not affect the rim.

The reeded edge photo is way out of focus. I typically find a small piece of soft foam and cut a slit into it. That allows the coin to snugly fit the gap allowing to get a clear photo without having to steady the phone and hold the coin as well. If you don't have foam, you might be able to stand the coin up and balance it between two small objects.
        Last edited by MintErrors; 03-25-2024, 11:13 PM.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

Here are some more pictures of reeded edge. Thank you for all your help.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X