Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955D quarter PMD or something else ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955D quarter PMD or something else ?

I've had these 1955D quarter for over 30 years and after I posted in Coin Community family ( today) I have different opinions , with one been " acid treatment" , same thing I wrote on the 2x2 but with a question mark , if it wouldn't be acid exposure what else could it be ? . Diameter is 26 mm , thickness is 5 mm and it weight 5.0 grs . Thanks for looking a it
    Attached Files

In my opinion, this being a silver coin, it does look like post mint damage - I believe its either a light treatment of acid or its a dryer coin.

Typically a dryer coin would have a wider rim and most of the reeded edge would be bashed away. Additionally, the coins seem to show a ring or split around the coin, close to the rim.

Acid treated coins can show ravines where acid flowed toward the rim and ate away at the rim and anywhere else it landed. Typically the rim and the field ( flat portion of the coin) are uneven.

Lastly,it could have been in the ground, then found and cleaned. The envirnomental style damage the ground does to coins leaves small holes, like pitting on the coin. It really depends on how much time it spent in/on the ground.

In any event - if it is post mint damage, it all boils down to one thing - damage.

I would take a magnet to it, just in case. BUT, I would put a good thick plastic between the coin and magnet, or a nice thick cloth to avoid damaging the coin.
    Last edited by MintErrors; 03-28-2024, 07:33 PM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

MintErrors , thanks for your response

Comment

I just tried my silver test solution I have and the testing stone and the scratch I made on the stone instead of turning a color to give me the silver content just vanish , no even green for .500 silver.

Comment

here's the testing of the coin .
          Attached Files

Comment

I took a picture of a nickel , clad quarter , silver quarter and the 1955 quarter as I was asked to do from a member of CCF "Dearborn" to compare with other coins and here are the results , first under wax paper and then under one sheet of tissue
            Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion, I personally don't do those tests. I use a scale. I say this because if you have a toned coin, all bets are off and it may throw the test off. The metal test is eh, ok but, it does damage the coin.

The magnet is just make sure its not on a wrong planchet, like on a foreign planchet. With the damage and wear, it would be difficult to know the metal composition of the coin without some advanced testing done, identifying the metals.

Weight is the best test for me. Next is the magnetic test and then take it from there. If it weighs semi close to what a silver quarter would weigh (6.25 grams), then it's on a silver planchet.

A scale needs to go down to the hundredths of a gram (x.xx) for a more accurate weight. You say it's 5 grams. That weight is close to a nickel. With the
              wear and potential damage, it is very possible for a coin to go from 6.25 grams down to 5.0 grams. Accuracy is important on the weight because if it is smack dab on 5.0 grams (or extremely close), this can open up two possibilities:

Struck on wrong thickness planchet - a sheet of metal for nickels was sent through the quarter blanking machine. This means the quarter would weigh slightly more 5 grams since the size of the quarter is bigger than the nickel.

Struck on 5 cent planchet. This would cause some of the details of the quarter to not be present along the rim of the coin. That means, the rim in places should not be there, as well as some letters. Reeeding may be missing, since the nickel planchet is smaller than the quarter, and it unable to fill the collar all the way. The metal flow would be less uniform.

Or, again a acid treated planchet, enviromentally damaged planchet can reduce the weight.
              Gary Kozera

Comment

some more pictures, the coin it's not round and it has al the reeds around the rim , the weight as I said before it's 5.0 , do you think that I should send it some where to get a professional inspection ? ( not that you're not ) , if you think it should be sent , would you recommend a place ?
                Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion, i would start here at CONECA. I would do a post in the CONECA SERVICES under Examinations.
                  Put in as much information as you can, and as many photos as you can. Let them know the exact weight as well.
                  It is best to add too much info on the first post.... it is better than not enough.
                  It may take a while for responses, so its best to get the answers you need in one pass.

As for the third party grading (TPG's) companies like PCGS.com, NGCcoin.com and ANACS.com, they can be pricey. They would charge over $50+ to encapsulate, grade and examine the coin.It's your decision whether or not to send it in. IF it would be eventually sold, the return on investment may not be there. It all depends what this come back as, there is no clear winner of what it is. ANACS reps can be at larger coin shows. If they are not, there may be a dealer that specializes in errors. Of the three TPG's, ANACS may be a tad cheaper. I think PCGS and NGC would hover close to $100.00 for one error coin. You can either call them or look online at what tiers you'd need to pick in order to get the coin examined, graded and encapsulated.

It could come back in just a plastic bag and unslabbed. It could come back as an acid treated coin or cleaned. It could com back as an authentic error. It's up to the TPG whether they want to encapsulate (slab) it or not. You cannot rule out a counterfeit or fake either, but it might be a an extremely low probability. If you send it in, it may take more than 5 weeks for it to come back.

Good luck on what you decide to do.
                  Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
                  X