Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 MDC-2000 Mad clash Lincoln Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 MDC-2000 Mad clash Lincoln Cent

Hello everyone, I came across a 2000 P MAD Die Clash Error Lincoln cent. It looks like it has a clash that says Pluribus below Lincoln Bust and the rim design on the obverse. I have some questions pertaining to this coin. I was wondering if this is a recognized veriety from the major coin grading companies? Is this a rare coin? I was not able to find much information or examples. Thank you and I will attach some picture.
    Attached Files

nice one.

i'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in before doing some research.
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Rayjcoins;n110235]Hello everyone, I came across a 2000 P MAD Die Clash Error Lincoln cent. It looks like it has a clash that says Pluribus below Lincoln Bust and the rim design on the obverse. I have some questions pertaining to this coin. I was wondering if this is a recognized veriety from the major coin grading companies? Is this a rare coin? I was not able to find much information or examples. Thank you and I will attach some picture.

The website maddieclashes.com might have this one listed. Die clashes typically happen at die set up. It's difficult to know how many they made, since the working dies for Lincoln cents can strike up to 1 million coins. Due to maintenance on the working dies, if a mint worker discovers the clash, they use tools to make the clash disappear. Typically it's called die abrasion. Over time, working dies do wear out, and it depends on the location of the clash. Some might last longer in certain locations on the coin.

The website error-ref.com, under completed entries will have more technical and helpful information on the clashes.

As far as knowing whether a die clash is recognized by a third party grading service, is calling them or seeing them at a coin show. ANACS is typically at a lot of shows. Return on investment is always a concern. It would help out immensely if the clash you found is already documented. You can add notes to the submission and tell them where you found the coin examined and documented. It's up to them whether or not they will recognize it. Call the. In advance and talk directly to a supervisor or manager. A customer service person may not know the answer.

Sending a coin in will be costly, a guess would be somewhere north of 60 usd for a single coin.you can use your favorite search engine to look up the fees. Some may tell you about the return postage costs, which with mandatory insurance via either UPS or FEDEX can cost close to 25 bucks. It goes up as the coin value increases.

Good luck with your decision.
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Wow, Thank you Gary! for all your knowledge and info! I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to help me out. So I did contact pcgs and spoke with a manager. I did explain to him the type of error the coin had. He recommended that i would add it in with my next order of coins i sent for grading. I was hoping to have a response from them by now. It's been about 3 weeks. Once I hear from pcgs I will give you an update. Thanks again. Ray

Comment

With the die chip through the “W” going down the head, isn’t what they are calling “Spike Heads”?

Comment

Hello John J, yes you are correct. This coin has 2 errors. I also wish it was a wide A M. That would have been really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by John J View Post
              With the die chip through the “W” going down the head, isn’t what they are calling “Spike Heads”?
              nice post. i was ready to dismiss the head "crack/break" as a plating bubble from the images. i've seen long plating "bubbles" like this before although i am aware of the spiked heads.

http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...ads-2000-2009/
              coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Working...
              X